CyanogenMod might not be Nightly available for Samsung Galaxy Grand, but a custom and ported CM12 firmware has been already made available for your phone. So, you can now choose to update your Samsung Galaxy Grand to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS by using the new CM 12 built, which is provided by those of xda-developers.
Updating your Grand with CM 12 is easy, especially if you are used with these types of custom operations. If you are a newbie, then you should know that flashing custom ROMs represents unofficial procedures and that you might end up in bricking your Android device, if you mess things up – unlikely if you stick to the guidelines from below.
Anyway, CyanogenMod is not an official Android update release for your Samsung Galaxy Grand. The CM12 platform is based on latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop system and comes with custom features and with a custom UI. With CM 12 installed, your Galaxy Grand will run better and faster and you will be able to customize and optimize your smartphone by using CyanogenMod in built capabilities.
CyanogenMod is one of the most popular custom ROM available for the Android system and CM12 is the latest built of this custom ROM. The firmware is now bringing Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS to your Samsung Galaxy Grand. But, before completing this tutorial, you should know that the warranty of your phone will get voided. This is happening because you are about to perform an unofficial update procedure that isn’t related to Samsung or Google.
Moreover, CM12 can be flashed only in given conditions. That’s why, you now need to ensure the following things:
- Your Samsung Galaxy Grand must be rooted, or else you won’t be able to update it to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with CM 12 custom ROM firmware.
- On your smartphone a custom recovery image must be running. The update package can be flashed only by using a custom recovery image – I recommend you to use CWM or TWRP recovery in that matter.
- Backup your data because during the update process a wipe will be performed.
- Make a Nandroid backup too because CM12 might not be what you expected – and by using the Nandroid backup you can go back to stock Android OS.
- Make sure that a computer can be used; on the same temporarily deactivate antivirus and any other security protection.
- On your smartphone enable USB debugging option; just go to “menu -> settings -> developer options”.
- Charge your smartphone if the battery level is currently lower than 50% – don’t skip this step if you want to successfully install CM12.
- Apply this step by step guide only if you own the Samsung Galaxy Grand – CyanogenMod update file from below is compatible only with this device.
In case you are wondering, CM 12 for Galaxy Grand brings a stable Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware that can be safely applied for a daily use. The CM12 platform is stable and smoothly run on the Galaxy Grand as there haven’t been reported bugs or other software related issues. Well, let’s see how to add CyanogenMod on your Samsung Galaxy Grand.
How to Easily Update Galaxy Grand with CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM
- Go to this page; that’s where the CM12 update package is. Also, from the same page download Google Apps package for your Galaxy Grand.
- Save the files on your computer; preferable on desktop.
- Then, place the same files on your phone’s SD card – in order to do so first of all connect your smartphone with your PC via USB cable.
- Up next, remove the USB connection and turn off your device.
- Enter recovery mode on your Samsung Galaxy Grand.
- And the, use recovery mode menu for selecting “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Good; now also from recovery select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update and install CM12 on your Galaxy Grand.
- Also flash Google Apps package on your smartphone.
- In the end return to recovery and select “reboot system now”.
There you have it; that’s how you can update your Samsung Galaxy Grand to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS with CM12 custom ROM firmware.