The Verizon model of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can now receive the latest Android release: Lollipop 5.0. Of course and as you can already tell, I am not talking about an official OTA roll out, but about a new custom ROM firmware, in form of Nightly CM 12 platform.
Thus, if you are thinking in trying something else instead of stock Android OS and if you want to tweak your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 on your way, don’t hesitate and use this tutorial as we will check how to install Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 Nightlies on your smartphone.
The Nightlies built of CyanogenMod represents stable releases of the mentioned firmware. Thus, CM 12, in this form, comes as a stable and smooth Lollipop OS for your Verizon Galaxy Note 2. Therefore, you can safely experience a new Android system on your device without dealing with any sort of software related issues.
Moreover, the platform can be then used for improving the performances of your device. Basically, with CM 12 Nightlies installed, your Verizon Note 2 will run faster and better while the battery life will last longer. Also, the Lollipop 5.0 firmware can be customized and optimized by your own taste.
Of course, since we are talking about a custom ROM that is only based on stock Android 5.0 OS, flashing CM12 will imply in performing an unofficial update operation. That’s why, now, you will lose your Verizon warranty. Moreover, due to same reasons, this tutorial can be applied only in given conditions – you can learn more about the risk and the advantages implied by this operation by checking out this step by step guide. During the same tutorial you will also learn how to properly prepare your smartphone for the flashing operation that will follow – therefore, don’t go any further without checking the mentioned guide.
You shouldn’t complete this tutorial without previously backing up your Verizon Galaxy Note 2. It is important to save your data as a wipe will be required during the installation of CM 12 custom ROM. Therefore save everything that’s important to you and afterwards, consider in making a Nandroid backup too for saving the current Android OS that runs on your phone – you will be able to restore the firmware if something wrong occurs during the update process.
Your Verizon Galaxy Note 2 must be rooted and installed with a custom recovery image like CWM or TWRP recovery – else, the steps from below won’t work at all. So, first of all take care of these two custom operations and only after that return here and resume the installation procedure of CM 12 Nightly custom ROM.
How to Update Verizon Galaxy Note 2 with CM12 Nightlies Android 5.0 Lollipop OS
- First, from CyanogenMod official web page download the Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware for your Verizon Galaxy Note 2.
- Save the file on your computer, preferable on desktop – it is important not to unzip the update package.
- Next, connect your phablet with your computer and transfer the downloaded file on your phone’s SD card.
- Good, now enter your Android device in recovery mode as from there you can resume the update process.
- So, from recovery first select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache” in order to prepare the internal system of your phone for the custom ROM.
- Then, also from main menu of recovery pick “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Select the CM 12 Nightlies update from your phone and just install Android 5.0 Lollipop on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery and choose “reboot system now”.
That’s all you need to do. In the end, CM 12 Nightlies will be finally running on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2. You should now try the Lollipop firmware in order to see if you like it or not. Also, feedback us with your own impressions by using the comments area from below.