The Canadian model of LG G3 just received the official touch of CyanogenMod. Now, even though Android 5.0 Lollipop is already available in an official form for the LG G3, you can now spice things up by replacing the stock software with a custom ROM that can be easily changed and personalized.
So, what do you say? Are you ready to install CM 12 Nightlies on your LG G3 D852 for experiencing a different though unique Android 5.0 Lollipop OS? If so, then I will help you out; during the guidelines from below I will show you how to properly flash this new custom ROM on your Android device, so you have nothing to worry about.
The Nightlies built of CyanogenMod is as you might know an official release of one of the most powerful Android based custom ROMs. Thus, the current release brings a stable and smooth Lollipop experience for your LG G3. The present CM 12 built has been optimized and customized for the Canadian model of the LG G3, so you shouldn’t use this tutorial in case you own a similar or different version of the mentioned smartphone.
This tutorial is complex and risky so you shouldn’t complete it if you are new to the Android system. For example, you can apply this custom ROM only if you first root your LG G3 – the root process is also risky as you must remove factory and default restrictions from your device. Moreover, after ensuring root access, you must install a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery as CM 12 Nightlies can be flashed only through the same software.
All these are unofficial operations and while completing them, the warranty of your Canadian LG G3 will get void. This is the most important negative aspect that is related with this update process – you can read more about pros and cons by using this review – also you must use that guide for learning how to prepare your smartphone for the update process that will follow (in fact, you shouldn’t go any further without checking the provided link).
Also, before doing anything else you must be sure that CM 12 Nightlies is indeed what you want to apply on your LG G3 for being able to experience a new and optimized Android 5.0 Lollipop OS. As you might know, in that matter you can also use firmwares like AOKP or Paranoid Android. Now, if you do want to resume the next lines, don’t forget to backup your data first, or else you will end up in losing everything that’s saved on the internal storage memory of your phone.
Beside the general backup process you also should consider in saving the current Android OS that runs on your LG G3 D852. In that matter you can make a Nandroid backup. This operation is quite important as if CM 12 Nightlies will not be on your taste, you will then be able to go back to stock Android firmware without further problems.
Anyway, let’s see how to update your D852 G3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop OS through CM12 custom ROM firmware.
How to Flash CM12 Nightlies on Canadian LG G3
- CyanogenMod can be officially downloaded from this page – make sure you get the CM 12 Nightlies compatible with your Canadian model of LG G3.
- Make sure you save the file on your computer, on desktop if possible, but don’t unzip the update package.
- You then have to transfer the downloaded software file on your phone’s SD card – so connect your device with your computer and complete the mentioned task.
- Now, enter recovery mode on your LG G3.
- Finally, from recovery prepare your device for the custom ROM; select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- When done, return to main menu of recovery and select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Now, just flash CM12 Nightlies on your G3 and update to Android 5.0 Lollipop software.
- When done, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.
Good; now you just have to test the new Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware. Remember that CM 12 Nightlies can be used for tweaking the performances of your LG G3, so make the best of it.