HTC One Max can be updated to Android 5.1 Lollipop OS. Even though HTC isn’t yet providing an official OTA update for this device, the One Max users can enjoy the latest Lollipop features, apps and capabilities by using a new custom ROM, in form of CyanogenMod. Thus, you need to know that those of xda-developers just released an unofficial version of CM 12.1 for your HTC One Max. The firmware is based on stock Android 5.1 Lollipop system, so you can now easily update your smartphone to latest Android software.
CM12.1 for HTC One Max comes as an unofficial version of CyanogenMod; the ROM is developed and offered by those of xda-developers and not by the CM team. Also, so far, the Android 5.1 Lollipop update is on developing stage, which means that a stable firmware is not yet available. However, this CM 12.1 platform is stable enough for a daily use as there won’t be issued any major bugs, lags or other software problems. So, basically, the Android 5.1 update will smoothly run on your HTC One Max.
If you want to safely apply the firmware, then I recommend you to use the guidelines from this tutorial. Make sure you read all the lines from this guide, as the flashing operation is risky and complex – you will install an unofficial Android update that isn’t developed by Google or HTC.
Since CM12.1 is not an official Android update, you will lose your phone’s warranty if you decide to resume this step by step guide. Moreover, if you mess things up you can brick or damage your HTC One Max – that’s why you should stick to the lines from this tutorial, especially if you are a newbie who is trying for the first time to use a custom ROM in order to update to latest Android 5.1 Lollipop OS.
Also, a custom ROM can be flashed only on certain conditions, which means that you first have to prepare your HTC One Max; in that matter, take a look and apply the tasks that are being explained during the following list.
- Root your Android device because CM 12.1 can be installed only if your One Max has an unlocked system.
- Install a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone as the Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware can be flashed only through the mentioned software.
- Backup your HTC One Max as during the installation process a wipe will be completed – without applying a backup process, you will lose all of your personal data, info and accounts.
- Since the CM12.1 platform is still under development, you shouldn’t go any further without saving the current ROM that powers your phone – if the Android 5.1 ROM will not run properly, you will then be able to easily complete a downgrade to stock operation.
- You should check this step by step guide in order to see all the risks that are implied by this custom operation; also, check the mentioned tutorial in order to see how to properly prepare other things for the flashing process that is described below.
Good; now you can safely begin to install the CM 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware on your HTC One Max.
How to Install CM12.1 on HTC One Max and Update to Android 5.1 Lollipop OS
- From your computer access the page from here.
- Download the CM12.1 firmware file on desktop and don’t unzip the update package.
- Also, download Google Apps package on your PC from the same page as above.
- Then, ensure a connection between your HTC One Max and your computer.
- Place the downloaded files on your phone’s SD card and then disconnect the devices.
- Turn off your phone and then reboot it into recovery mode.
- From recovery wipe the internal system and clear cache; in a few words, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Good; now after completing the steps from above, go back to main menu of recovery.
- From there select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM 12.1 custom ROM and install Android 5.1 Lollipop OS on your HTC One Max.
- Remember to repeat the same process for flashing Google Apps.
- When done, from main menu of recovery choose “reboot system now”.
There you have it; that’s how you can update your HTC One Max to Android 5.1 Lollipop OS with CM 12.1 custom ROM firmware. Enjoy.