The CM12S update, which was recently released for the OnePlus One, managed to capture my attention as long as it has something special to offer. No, I am not only talking about the regular Lollipop new features and changes, but you should also know the fact that the CM12S update also comes with support for always-listening functionality that wakes up your device when you say “Hey Snapdragon”.
Using only your voice is indeed tempting, but there is just a small problem. Despite of the fact that Cyanogen is saying that the feature can be found on Setup Wizard on a fresh install or under “language and input” settings, the truth is that it isn’t available in either of these placed. However, this doesn’t have to mean that you cannot use it, but on the contrary, you must follow this guide in order to Voice Wakeup on OnePlus One running CM12S.
The key for this guide is to activate it uses VoiceWakeup-signed.apk file from a similar custom MOD from CM11S. It works really smooth, but sadly it won’t work when you’ve a lockscreen in place, which we all do. When lockscreen is enabled, the phone will only respond to “Hey Snapdragon” but it won’t get past the lock screen, where-in when lockscreen is disabled Voice Wakeup will function just like we want it to.
Before starting the procedure, root your device and don’t hesitate to make a backup of all your important data stored there. You never know what might happen, so it’s better to be cautious. And enabling USB debugging on your OnePlus One is a must as well if you want to be successful. No less important, keep in mind that this operation will void the warranty of your handset, but this guide on how to restore it will save the day once again.
So, are you prepared for the procedure? Let’s begin!
How to Enable Voice Wakeup on CM12S:
- Download the Voice Wakeup apk file from here on your computer;
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC;
- It’s time to open a command window on PC and type/paste the following commands one by one:
adb shell su
mount -oremount,rw /system
mkdir /system/app/VoiceWakeup cp /sdcard/VoiceWakeup-signed.apk /system/app/VoiceWakeup/VoiceWakeup.apk
chmod 755 /system/app/VoiceWakeup/
chmod 644 /system/app/VoiceWakeup/VoiceWakeup.apk
mount -oremount,ro /system
- Reboot your OnePlus One and you will see the setup wizard show up automatically;
- If it doesn’t (there are cases when this could happen), I have a solution for such a situation too: you have to go into Settings » Language & Input » Voice wakeup;
- You should also Disable “Ok Google” from the Google now app as it might interfere with your new hotword “Hey Snapdragon”.
Have you managed to enable Voice Wakeup on CM12S? Do you like using it or do you still prefer OK Google? Let us know your opinion by using the comments area from below.