The latest smartphone from LG, none other than the G4 one is an appealing choice thanks to its high end technical specs and features, but if you really want to take advantage of its capabilities, then unlocking its system is a must. The best way to do that is by learning how to unlock its bootloader and even if you don’t know how to do it, why do you think that I am here for?
This step by step guide is just what you need, but do you know what this procedure involves? LG G4 has a certified and tested version of Android and if you choose to unlock the bootloader, this will change the software. Therefore, it is important to understand the fact that once your device is unlocked, it will no longer be covered by LG warranty and the company can no longer guarantee the full functionality of your device.
Even more, there is no chance of turning back once you have unlocked the bootloader of your European LG G4. You will not be able to revert your handset to locked status and the very same procedure will disable certain functions of your phone. To be more precise, some applications which require DRM protection may stop working or block certain functions due to this untrusted DRM.
Do you accept all these? Well, then let me tell you that LG is aware of the enthusiasts’ interest in its devices, so it lets its users to unlock the bootloader by using an official tool that LG has released. I want you to know from the start that this procedure only works with the European version of the flagship, model number H815, so do not try to apply it on any other device and keep in mind that the company will add more of its phones to the list of supported devices.
Before starting, you must also backup the personal data saved on your smartphone as it might get wiped out, enable developer options and check the USB debugging option. On your handset, you have to access Settings – Developer options and check the “OEM Unlock” option and no less important, charge the battery, or make sure that there is enough power left for this operation (minimum 60%).
You must also use a computer on which Android SDK must be ensured and temporarily turn off security protection as some antivirus related tools might interfere with the unlock process. The detailed step-by-step instructions are available here, so what are you waiting for? Let’s proceed:
How to Unlock Bootloader on European version of LG G4:
- Connect the LG G4 device to the computer – use the USB cord for that;
- On your computer access the Android SDK folder;
- Open a command prompt window;
- In the cmd window type “adb devices” for adb to recognize your smartphone;
- Now reboot into bootloader mode wit the help of this command: “adb reboot bootloader”’
- Fastboot / bootloader mode will be then displayed on your device;
- In the cmd window enter “fastboot oem device-id”;
- This fastboot command will return a character string. This is the Device ID which is needed to generate your unique unlock key;
- Form a single line code out of the two lines you received, removing all spaces and the “(bootloader)” in order to get the ID you will have to use;
- Then, from your PC, run the web browser client;
- Go towards LG’s official webpage;
- At the bottom at that page you will see the “Start Unlocking” option, so tap on it;
- Sign in or log in with your own personal info;
- Then, also enter the device ID and the IMEI when prompted;
- An email will be sent to you with the unlock.bin file;
- Download the received file on desktop;
- Enter your LG G4 into fastboot mode;
- In the cmd window enter: “cd Desktop” and then “fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin”;
- The bootloader of your LG G4 will be now unlocked;
- At the end, just use the ‘fastboot reboot’ command.
Once that’s done, you should have an unlocked bootloader and all the freedom to make the changes that you want.