As you probably know, a few days back Samsung mentioned that it will start to rollout the Stagefright security update for its main flagships – I am talking about the none other than the new Android 5.0.1 Lollipop security update; thus this is exactly what it’s happening now for the Rogers Samsung Galaxy S4.
For those who are not aware of StageFright bug, let me clarify that this StageFright bug permits the hackers to gain full access to users of Android devices after a MMS video is opened by them.
It’s clear that you don’t want something like that to happen to your device, so the good part is that the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop StageFright Security Update is already here and your Rogers Canada Galaxy S4 can enjoy the privilege as well. However, not all the users will be getting this update at the same time – since we are talking about an OTA release, but this guide is here to help you.
Anyway, don’t start the manual flashing update operation until being totally prepared. Just to be on the safe side, you have to take a backup of your all important stuff including your Galaxy S4 call logs, messages, photos and everything that might be important and remember that the USB Debugging mode must be enabled on your device. You can enable it by heading to the Settings, and then to the Developers option.
The battery percent of your Galaxy S4 smartphone should be more than 60% in order to be sure that during the Android 5.0.1 update process the device won’t turn off, just as you have to prepare the computer and install the right drivers there.
This Lollipop ROM is only compatible with the with the Rogers Canada version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, so it should not be used with any other model then stated because this will result in a soft brick.
You can avoid such an unfortunate situation by heading into the Settings of your device, and then go to the About phone section to confirm the SGH – I337M model number. I also want you to know that if you are trying to install the update over a rooted firmware, then you should know that the root access will be revoked, just as any custom Recovery will also be replaced with the stock Recovery.
Even more, these guidelines are just for advanced users and I will not be held responsible if anything goes wrong during the update process. This is your responsibility to assume:
How to Flash Android 5.0.1 Lollipop StageFright Security Update on Rogers Canada Galaxy S4:
- From here you have to take the I337MVLUGOH1 Android 5.0.1 archive;
- Extract the archived files and save them on your PC and you should obtain the I337MVLUGOH1 tar.md5 firmware file;
- Download Odin3 v3.10.6 zip from here;
- Switch off your Rogers Canada Galaxy S4 handset;
- Now, you have to boot it in Download Mode;
- Launch the Odin exe on your computer;
- You must connect the hansdet to your PC and wait for Odin to detect it;
- Go back to Odin’s main window and disable the ‘Re-Partition’ option, but be careful not to edit any other default Odin settings;
- Click on the AP button in ODIN;
- Locate the I337MVLUGOH1 Android 5.0.1 tar.md5 firmware file;
- Don’t waste any more time and load it in ODIN;
- Hit the Start button and wait;
- When the update is done you will see the device rebooting;
- At the end, just disconnect your phone from the computer.
If you fear about any problem in the update process, let me know by dropping your comment below.