Are you bored of your Samsung Galaxy Express that runs on stock Android OS? If you want to try something new, let me tell you that this doesn’t have to mean becoming the owner of a new Android device. My suggestion is to try a new custom ROM platform that everyone talks about these days. Yes, you have the chance to install the new CM13 Firmware, which is based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow system, on your Galaxy Express, so let me be your guide!
I want to be clear from the start about the fact that the CM 13 version that I am telling you about is not an official Android 6.0 M release, but I assure you that it can be safely used on a daily basis. However, there are plenty of things to do before the actual flashing procedure.
Do you want to be successful? Then, let me tell you that you have to root your Galaxy Express if you to remove factory and default restrictions from your phone and install a custom recovery image like CWM or TWRP recovery – else you cannot apply the CyanogenMod firmware on your Galaxy Express, thus you cannot enjoy Android 6.0 M.
A Nandroid backup is also recommended as long as through this process you will save the ROM that is now powering your smartphone. Is it necessary to do that? Let’s just say that the CM 13 software will not run properly or that you are not pleased by the changes, so this is your chance to downgrade by using the Nandroid backup file.
Then, don’t hesitate to verify that the correct USB drivers for the Galaxy Express are installed there and deactivate the antivirus which might slow down or completely stop the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update procedure. The phone must also have at least 60% battery charge before trying to install this firmware and don’t start before gaining developer options. In order to do that, tap several times on built number under Menu – Settings – About phone to check the USB debugging option which can be found on Menu – Settings – Developer options.
Do you know that you will lose your phone’s warranty when completing this operation? You can use this guide to restore it (How to Restore the Warranty on your Android device), but if you make any mistake and you end up bricking your phone, you will be the only one to blame.
How to Install CM13 Firmware on Galaxy Express:
- On this page you can find the CM13 for your device;
- Then, take Google apps and the boot image by using this link;
- Connect your Galaxy Express phone with the computer via USB cable;
- Transfer the downloaded files on your device;
- Turn off the handset and disconnect it from PC;
- Enter reboot recovery on it by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons;
- From recovery select “wipe data factory reset”, followed by “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”;
- From the main menu of recovery tap the Install option;
- Pick the Android 6.0 Marshmallow file;
- Now, you have to apply the CM 13 update;
- Let me tell you that flashing the custom ROM takes a few minutes and then, a message saying ‘Successful’ appears on the screen, thus completing the installation;
- Do not hesitate to install the Google Apps package too by using the same steps;
- The last step has to be completed from the main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.