I am back with fresh Marshmallow news for Samsung Korean Samsung Galaxy S5 owners. It seems that the manufacturer has begun pushing out its Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update to your Galaxy S5, but you also know what this means: if you want to install this official update manually on your device and stop waiting for the firmware files to arrive over the air, then the instructions listed in this post are just what you need.
After all, the update is more than welcomed as it focuses on bug fixes, stability improvements, and speed optimizations, along with all those tempting Marshmallow features such as Google Now on Tap, configurable app permissions, or Doze battery management.
Even if you like the idea, I must tell you from the start that you can only use this tutorial with the Korean G900S and G900L versions of the Samsung Galaxy S5. I am talking about the LG Uplus and SK Telekom ones, so don’t hesitate to check the model number of your phone under the Settings> About Phone section and stop here if the guide is not for you.
Note that this procedure will restore your device back to factory settings, so make sure you have all your data backed up before you get to flashing and that you are willing to give up on root and the custom recovery that you currently use.
And as I always tell you, you have to check the battery charge level as long as it has to be over 60% before starting the installation. This is necessary as it will prevent your smartphone from powering down during the flashing process. And if the Samsung Update utility program is opened, then I have to tell you that it might try to block Odin from flashing any new firmware files, so take care of this problem now and close the program!
How to Flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Korean Samsung Galaxy S5:
- Download the appropriate firmware:
you can take Android 6.0.1 update for Galaxy S5 LG Uplus from here or grab the Android 6.0.1 update for Galaxy S5 SK Telekom by entering here;
- Extract the firmware file on your PC or laptop; you should get the updating .tar.md5 firmware file, but be careful: you must not extract any further than that;
- Enter here as you have to download Odin v3.10.7;
- Extract the Odin ZIP file;
- Open Odin v3.10.7;
- Reboot your phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Home + Power + Volume Down buttons for few seconds after switching off your Galaxy S5 phone;
- Connect your phone to your PC via the USB cord;
- Once it has booted into Download mode, you must get a blue sign in Odin;
- Go to Odin’s main screen from where you should click the AP button;
- At this point, you will be asked to load the tar.md5 Androdi 6.0.1 update file, so don’t hesitate to do that;
- Make sure re-partition is not ticked in the options tab of Odin;
- Click the Start button and wait a few minutes. When the update is done you will see the PASS alert shown by ODIN.
Let me know if you have any queries regarding the installation procedure in the comments section below; I will be happy to help you!