Sony Mobile decided to allow users of some of its most popular flagship Xperia devices to opt into a Marshmallow Beta program for those interested in the Android OS updates. Given the nature of an early pre-release build, there were some bugs along the way, but now things have changed and the problems are already solved. To be more precise, Sony has officially started rolling out the final release build of Marshmallow 6.0.1 to the Z3 Compact smartphones coming with various goodies.
The official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow changelog for the update mentions enhanced privacy settings: the chance to manage and control your application data permissions, better battery life, all-new camera interface as you can switch between modes and customise settings with simple gestures, Xperia Messaging in order to express yourself, get creative with easy in-app access to Stickers as well as Direct Share in order to share activity with friends, recent contacts and app lists.
In such a case, you can manually grab the Android M update by going to Settings, then into About phone, Software update. It is important to note that the availability of the update depends on the region and the carrier network and if there is no update waiting for you there, then this manual guide is for you and your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.
The process will not wipe off the data stored on your Xperia Z3 Compact, but never know when an accident might take place. Therefore, before proceeding any further, please back up your device. Then, download and install the USB drivers for the handset in your computer and don’t hesitate to enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
No less important, check the battery status: if the power left will be lower than 60%, plug in the charger or else, your Sony Xperia Z3 Compact might get turned off while you try to complete the Android Marshmallow update process. In such a situation, your smartphone might get soft bricked.
And even if it is better to take everything into consideration, be sure that you won’t lose your phone’s warranty if you choose to use the guidelines from below. Moreover, you won’t risk anything else, as for the update process you will use a dedicated software developed and offered by Sony and not by third party devs.
How to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Sony Zperia Z3 Compact:
- Enter here to download the Sony Flash tool file on your computer;
- Don’t hesitate to install the Sony Xperia Z USB drivers and the Android SDK utility;
- Grab the Android 6.0.1 M update package from here too;
- Run the Flash Tool utility on your device;
- Click on the three dots button and load the update package you want to install;
- Select all the options listed there from the right panel, under Wipe;
- Also, uncheck the No final verification option from the bottom of the screen;
- Click on the Flash button and when prompted, select Flashmode;
- Power off your device;
- Up next, connect it with your computer while pressing the Volume button;
- The program will recognize your handset and the update will start;
- At the end, unplug the USB cord and reboot your smartphone.