LG officially supports bootloader unlock for the international LG G5 H850 and this means that there is no problem when it comes to rooting and installing the latest TWRP Recovery on it. By that I mean installing the TWRP 3.0.0 recovery for the LG G5 device and this is possible thanks to the developer jcadduono who provided the official TWRP v3 for the smartphone.
For the moment I am talking about LG G5 (H850), the European variant as long as other models are not supported at the moment of writing this guide, but I am sure that things are about to change. And if this is the version that you own, that you have my full support for the procedure. here’s what you must do:
First of al, download and install LG’s G5 USB drivers on your PC. Proceeding with the below guide will wipe everything off your device, so don’t say that I haven’t warned you. On the contrary, you must take a backup of all your files/data to your PC and don’t start before making sure ADB and Fastboot is configured.
Following this TWRP guide will lose all the data from the LG G5 phone, but be prepared for something even worst: you will lose the warranty of your handset too. That’s a major negative aspect related to such operations, but if you want to flash this TWRP recovery, then there’s nothing you can do about that. You must only be very careful when applying all the steps from below as you do not want to end up in bricking or damaging your phone (this time, taking your phone back to service will imply paying for the technical assistance).
Then, remember that you must use a computer, your handset and its USB cable. Since a connection between these devices will have to be ensured, the USB debugging option must be checked, so enter into Menu – Settings – About phone and tap several times on built number; then access Menu – Settings – Developer options and enable the USB debugging option”). And another important aspect is to temporarily turn off antivirus protection as it might interfere with the procedure or completely stop it. And there’s one more thing to do: make sure that your LG phone has at least 60-70% battery charge to prevent any possible accidental shutdown in the process.
How to Install TWRP on your LG G5:
- Download TWRP (twrp-3.0.2-0-h850.img) with the help of this link;
- Move it in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory;
- Go to Fastboot/Bootloader mode now. For that, find your way to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (press Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt);
- Type in the following command and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- LG G5 will turn off right away;
- Up next, will boot into the Fastboot Mode;
- Then type the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-h850.img
- Don’t hesitate to press Enter once again;
- Then, choose Recovery from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode. Navigate up and down using the volume keys;
- If you see TWRP Recovery, then everything want according to the plan and the custom recovery is installed;
- You must select “reboot system now” from the recovery menu to save the changes. The phone will boot now.
That’s it. Your LG G5 has the latest TWRP Recovery fully working on it.
Need some help? Then, feel free to leave me your queries in the comments section below and I will do my best to help you.