Here I am to show you how simple is to manually install the Marshmallow OTA update on your Android Wear smartwatch. The Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1) update is one of the biggest changes in Android Wear and I bet that you will like what it has to offr you: I am talking about various features such as audio support on speaker-equipped watches, expanded support for messaging clients, navigation gestures, doze battery saving feature, app permissions, speaker support, navigation gestures and much more.
You can get all of these or even more, depending on your device. Google started rolling out the latest Android update for various Android Wear-enabled smartwatches, but I know that waiting is one of the hardest things to do. Do you want this change for your Android Wear Smartwatch? I have already told you that I can be your guide, so here’s what you must do:
For everything to go as smooth as possible, you must have the most recent drivers for your Android Wear device on your PC, so do not hesitate to visit the official page of your device manufacturer. Besides the fact that you need your Windows PC, also setup ADB and fastboot drivers on it, prepare the original USB cable and don’t skip the step of enabling the ADB debugging on your Android Wear smartwatch.
For that, go to Settings > About > Build number. Tap on build number several times until the message saying that ‘You are now a developer’ finally appears. Then, just use the new Developer Settings menu below the ‘About’ option in order to tick the USB debugging option.
With all these being said, head to this guide and follow the instructions.
Install Marshmallow OTA Update on your Android Wear Smartwatch:
- Take the most recent OTA update zip file (Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) for your Android Wear watch; here you will find the zip file for any smartwatch you might have;
- You have to rename the file as ‘update.zip’ and save it inside your ADB installation folder (C:\adb);
- Connect your Android wear device to the PC with the help of the original USB cable;
- You will be prompted to authorize your computer the first time you connect via USB for security reasons;
- Go to the ADB installation folder from your computer (C:\adb);
- You have to open a command window there. To do so, press Shift key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select ‘Open command window here’ option;
- You must issue the below command to reboot your Android Wear device to the bootloader:
adb reboot bootloader
- Then, enter this command to sideload the OTA update zip file:
adb sideload update.zip
- The installation procedure will begin on your Android Wear smartwatch;
- Have patience and when everything is over, you must only reboot your device.