Screenshots have been around way before I can even remember. They were definitely there in Android in 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and even back to 2.3 Gingerbread if you were on Touchwiz. However, things did not work as planned. Stock Android started off with simple screenshots, and stock Android has remained with nothing more than simple screenshots.
Do you know that now you can finally enable Partial Screenshot on CM14.1 Based ROMs? Developer J0SH1X over at xda has shared a very useful zip file to enable partial screenshot on CM14.1 and other CM based ROMs. What this zip file does is to install a modified SystemUI app with partial screenshot feature enabled.
While the developer shared his MOD on a LG G4 forum on xda, it has been tested on several Android devices and we have the confirmation that it works on most Android handsets with no problems.
The partial screenshot feature can be quite handy to convey the information precisely without been forced to post the entire screenshot. However, this mod might not work on your device. So, make sure you have a nandroid backup before flashing the zip and keep in mind that there is no way to take a full screenshot once the zip is installed.
Once the partial screenshot is enabled, the screen will go dim whenever you try to take a screenshot. At this point, you have to drag your fingers on the screen to select the area of your screenshot. The screenshot will be captured once you release your fingers from the screen. So, you can’t take full screen screenshots unless you managed to drag your finger along the length and breadth of your handset’s screen.
Learn to Enable Partial Screenshot on CM14.1 Based ROMs:
- For the start, take the CM14.1 Partial Screenshot MOD zip file from here to your computer;
- Then, you need to transfer it to your device via the original USB cord;
- Up next, you have to boot into TWRP or any other custom recovery on your Android handset;
- Remember hat it is essential to take a nandroid backup of your device just to ensure you can revert back if you face any problems during this guide;
- In TWRP menu, click Install and select the MOD+partial+Screenshots+cm14.1.zip file;
- You have to swipe to confirm the installation in the next step;
- Reboot the device from the main menu;
- Once the device boots up, press and hold the Power+Volume Down buttons to take the partial screenshot. Just drag your finger on the screen to select the area and that’s it, you just took your very first partial screenshot!