The ZTE Axon 7 Chinese variant comes with a theme store built in which is not found on the other variants. This flashable mod zip from XDA Recognized Developer freeza lets you enable the theme store on your ZTE Axon 7 and download more themes.
The process requires flashing a zip file to your device’s system partition and I must tell you from the start the fact that ZTE’s Theme engine isn’t as flexible as the CM theme engine. Despite of that, it does allow for changing icons, wallpaper, basic color schemes for the settings apps and some other ZTE apps, as well as the lockscreen appearance and I don’t know about you, but this is more than I hoped for at this point.
And even if there is a serious bug, I am willing to accept it. To be more precise, the dynamic lock screen cannot be unlocked by swiping as long as there are visible notifications. You can though use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen or simply press the bell icon to hide notifications and then swipe to unlock the screen.
For the procedure to work, you need:
- a rooted ZTE Axon 7;
- even more, a custom recovery must also be installed;
- you never know what might happen, so a full Nandroid backup is essential. I know that you don’t want to think of an accident, but such situations are not out of the question, so you should better be prepared;
- a properly charged device, so check its battery level before being too late for that.
How to Enable Theme Store on ZTE Axon 7:
- First of all, take the ZTE-A2017-ThemeStoreMOD-by-freeza_DrakenFX.zip from here;
- You need a ZTE account, so enter here to register for an account (assuming that you don’t already have one);
- The page is in Chinese so choose to Translate if prompted and things will get much easier;
- If not, you can click the Google Translate icon in Chrome’s URL bar to solve this problem;
- Registering with your international phone number might not work, so you’ll probably want to click on the Email registered tab for signing up;
- After your account is activated, move the ZTE-A2017-ThemeStoreMOD-by-freeza_DrakenFX.zip you previously downloaded to your ZTE Axon 7 handset;
- At this point, you must turn off the device;
- Up next, press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons at the same time. Let them go when you see the Boot Mode;
- Scroll down to Recovery with the help of the Volume Up and then, press Volume Down button to confirm it;
- Choose Install in the recovery and flash the ZTE-A2017-ThemeStoreMOD-by-freeza_DrakenFX.zip;
- At the end, reboot your device to save the changes;
- When the handset boots, go to Settings>App;
- Tap on the three button overflow menu in the upper-right and select Show system apps;
- Scroll through the list to find ZTE Account, Theme Store, Lock Screen Framework, and ZTE Lock Now have all been granted the required permissions;
- Open the theme store;
- Sign in with your ZTE account and feel free to access all those ZTE themes that are waiting for you.