The stock recovery for the OnePlus 5, and Android in general, comes with various features. For an average user, there isn’t much else that one could want from the regular OnePlus 5 Recovery Mode, but Android enthusiasts want much more than that. There are custom recoveries like TWRP, so you can start using custom ROMs, kernels, as well as other types of mods, not to mention that a rooted device opens a new world of possibilities, so how could you refuse all these?
Do you want to discover how to root your Android Oreo-based OnePlus 5 and install TWRP recovery on it? Achieving root access on OnePlus 5 goes in this order: install TWRP, and then gain root access. I have covered everything below in our guide to help you av=achieve your goal, yet you should know something from the start.
In order to complete the procedure described below, you’re going to need some things setup ahead of time.
Getting ready for the operation:
- First of all, you must have ADB and Fastboot installed on your computer;
- Grant USB Debugging access from the PC to your device and OEM Unlock on your phone; so, you have to go to your phone’s Settings » About phone and tap Build number around seven times. This will enable Developer options on your OnePlus 5. Now, you must go to Settings » Developer options and look for Enable OEM unlock option, tick the checkbox next to it;
- On the same page, also tick the USB debugging checkbox;
- Unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 5;
- You should have at least 60% battery on your device to proceed further;
- Make sure to take a backup of all the important data on your phone as all the data will be completely wiped during this process.
- First of all, you need to take the TWRP recovery compatible with Android Oreo for OnePlus 5;
- You can now open a Command Prompt window by Right-Clicking inside the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot;
- Then, connect your smartphone to PC;
- You must enter the following command to boot your device into Fastboot mode: adb reboot bootloader
- Once in Bootloader/Fastboot Mode, rename the TWRP image file that you downloaded before to recovery.img;
- You can now type the following command in the Command Prompt Windows: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- At this point, be sure of the fcat that the TWRP recovery will be installed on your OnePlus 5;
- After this, press Power and Volume Down at the same time for 2-3 seconds to boot into recovery mode and TWRP will be opened on your OnePlus 5;
- Also grab SuperSU;
- Move both of them to your OnePlus 5’s internal storage;
- At this point, you can click on Install inside TWRP and select the Magisk or SuperSU zip file to install the zip file to your phone;
- Up next, swipe to flash the zip file and reboot your device into the system.
Once your device restarts to the system, that was all. Your OnePlus 5 has the latest TWRP installed on it and it is rooted. To verify, feel free to download any root checker app from the Play Store.