A few days ago we have discussed about the CM 11 build custom ROM which was prepared for a full list of Google Nexus devices such as Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 and not only, but now is time to be talking about the possibility to install CM 11 on your Samsung Galaxy Mega. We must tell you from the start that this isn’t the official update which is expected to release only around March 2014. But this unofficial build is stable enough for a daily use, being based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS and offering us several new applications, an enhanced web browsing experience, a better speed, as well as some minor bug fixes. You probably know all these, so enough with words. For those interested on this procedure, here we have all the preparatory steps followed by a simple guide, so don’t hesitate to read more:
Review the risks:
- First of all, we must remind you that installing CM 11 on your Samsung Galaxy Mega means that it will void its warranty; anyway, there are ways to restore it if you change your mind, but you should make up your mind from the start and save yourself from any useless trouble;
- This tutorial is exclusively dedicated to Galaxy Mega having the model number GT-I9200/GT-I9205. So, you must go into the Settings menu and check the model number from the “About Device” section; if this isn’t the model number, then there is no reason to tell you that you don’t have to continue this procedure or you risk bricking it;
- We are not responsible of any of your mistakes which could end up damaging certain components of your Samsung Galaxy Mega.
- In the first place, you need to perform a full backup of your important data including your contacts, your SMS and MMS messages, call history, the internet settings and any so on if you also want to use them after the installation process;
- You’ll have to use a computer or a notebook and don’t leave aside to ensure that you have the original USB cable for making the connection;
- Disable any security protection that might interfere with the installation process;
- Charge your Samsung Galaxy Mega at least 50% so it doesn’t turn off exactly during the KitKat 4.4.2 update installation;
- Enable USB debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging;
- You must use TWRP v220.127.116.11 or above, as well as CWM v18.104.22.168 or above as long as any other older versions are not compatible with Android 4.4 based ROMs.
After you’ve completed all these preparatory steps, download the GAPPS FILE from here. After the download is complete, you have to connect the smartphone to the computer via USB cable and transfer the file to a new folder on your smartphone; do the same for the ROM FILE (download it from here) and prepare to follow this tutorial without skipping any step:
How to install CM 11 on your Galaxy Mega (for both CWM and TWRP users):
- You need to power off your Samsung Galaxy Mega and then press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons until you’ll see the Galaxy MEGA logo; this means booting into recovery mode and there are several other methods for doing that, but we have chosen this one as we consider it the most accessible;
- You should create a Nandroid Backup by going to Backup And Restore » Backup; although it is generally presented as an optional step, we consider it more than necessary as long as it offers maximum protection to your files;
- Then perform a Factory Reset, by selecting ‘Wipe Data/Factory reset’ and then taping on ‘Yes’ for giving the confirmation;
- The Factory Reset has to be followed by a System Format; for that, go to ‘Mounts and storage‘, select ‘format /system’ and tap on ‘Yes’;
- Install the ROM by unzipping the ROM file that you have downloaded;
- Also unzip the GAPPS file and install it (make sure that you’ll do these operations exactly in this order: first you’ll flash the ROM file and only after that the GAPPS file);
- Finally, you’ll have to select reboot system now and wait for the installation to complete.
After that, feel free to enjoy all the benefits of the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS on your Galaxy Mega device. If you run into any sort of problems, don’t hesitate to leave a comment or to contact us and we’ll get back to you.