It’s been quite a while since our last topic about HTC Droid DNA. We like its refreshing design, the fast performance offered by its quad-core processor, the bright 5-inch, 1080p full-HD display and its front and rear cameras which let us capture every moment in a flash, but we haven’t received yet the significant update that you and so many others are dreaming of. Yes, we are referring to the latest Android 4.4.2 version, but the official update from HTC is expected only around March. In this situation you can choose to use the AOKP Firmware which is ready to offer you a better battery life, a redesigned UI and several other major improvements and here we are to guide you how to install Android 4.4.2 on HTC Droid DNA with this AOKP Firmware, but that’s not all.
Please follow the step-by-step exactly as given and reviews all the risks that you are exposing your HTC Droid DNA to.
Review the risks:
- There aren’t so many chances for your HTC Droid DNA to be damaged if you properly follow all the instructions as they are mentioned in this procedure. But this doesn’t have to mean that we are responsible of any damage that might occur to your handset; you are the only one capable of taking such a decision of installing Android 4.4.2 on your HTC Droid DNA with the AOKP Firmware, just as you are the only one responsible of what could happen;
- This isn’t the official update, therefore we cannot know for sure if it comes with bugs in it or how dangerous they can be;
- Warranty may be void if you follow the instructions given in this page as long as the procedure overpasses the system files and the operating system, which means violating the initial terms and conditions of the warranty contract;
- This procedure is available exclusively for HTC Droid DNA (GSM/CDMA). For all those prepared to try it on another device, we must warn you from the start that it doesn’t stand a chance to work and it could permanently damage your model.
If you are willing to take such risks, then you are ready to read the following preparatory requirements.
- Back up all the important data that you currently keep on your HTC Droid DNA so that if anything happens during the process you could easily restore them;
- Make sure your smartphone is at least 60% charged. There is no reason for us to tell you that the lack of battery while the installation process is running could damage your handset; we are expecting to know that already;
- Don’t forget to enable the USB Debugging Mode by going “Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging;
- You must disable the security protection on your computer as long as it could interfere with the installation process and remember to connect the computer with the HTC Droid DNA smartphone using only the original USB cable;
- Do you have the appropriate USB Driver installed in your computer? If not, you should do so before taking any further action.
- Download the latest versions of CWM or TWRP recovery if you want to enjoy the Android 4.4.2 advantages at their full capacity. You want to warn you about the fact that any other older version might not work with Android’s KitKat at all.
Download the GAPPS FILE, the ROM FILE and the GSM PATCH FILE to your computer. Then, connect this smartphone to your computer using the USB cable and copy/paste both the Android 4.2.2 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to your SD card; do the same for the GSM patch file only if you are on GSM. Make sure that these files are in the SD card root and not in any other folder.
How to install Android 4.4.2 on HTC Droid DNA with AOKP Firmware (method that works perfectly for CWM and TWRP users):
- Turn off your HTC Droid DNA and disconnect it from the USB cable. Get in the Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power buttons together. You have to follow the navigation instructions on the screen and use Volume buttons to navigate between options;
- In case something goes wrong you should perform a Nandroid Backup by going to Backup And Restore » Backup;
- Perform a full data wipe by selecting “wipe data/factory reset” (you can use the Power button to select an option while in the Recovery Mode);
- Perform a cache wipe by selecting “wipe cache partition”; it is optional to perform a wipe of your dalvik cache as well;
- Return to the main recovery screen and select “install zip from SD card” followed by select “choose zip from sdcard”. Navigate to the Android 4.2.2 ROM zip file that you copied to your SD card by using the volume keys and then select it with the help of the Power button;
- Do the same for your Gapps zip file;
- Reboot your HTC Droid DNA device by selecting “reboot system now” from the recovery menu. The smartphone will boot now, but this might take a couple of minutes being the first time.
Your HTC Droid DNA should now have the AOKP Firmware Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM already installed! To be sure about that, you can go to Settings > About phone to verify and in case you experience any problem or have any questions, here we are to help you.