Are you the owner of a new HTC One M8 Android smartphone and CM11 is your favorite custom ROM? If you are thinking of spicing things up, we have only one suggestion for you: don’t hesitate to update your HTC One M8 with CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Custom ROM.
This custom ROM that we are talking about you will be able to speed things up, offering you a smoother Android system, as well as the possibility to remove bloatware, to install apps, upgrade the battery life and not only.
It is known that after flashing CM11, your HTC One M8 will run without lags, will have an improved web browsing experience and will also be faster than ever, so all you have to do is following the guidelines from below.
But no matter if you are an advanced user or just a newbie, there are some things that you should from the start:
Review the risks:
- You should be aware of the fact that CM 11 is not an official Android 4.4.2 KitKat update, but we are only talking about a custom ROM developed by third party devs; we can only advice you to be as careful as possible when flashing this ROM as long you can easily end up in bricking your One M8;
- Moreover, this updating procedure means losing the warranty of your HTC One M8, so let’s just hope that you won’t need a warranty repair any time soon; in such a case, HTC could add a service fee for the additional costs caused by this unofficial operation, so be sure that you are willing to take that risk; anyway, for restoring the warranty you can choose to flash stock / official Android OS on your smartphone;
- Rooting your HTC One M8 is a necessary step if you want to install CM11 custom ROM firmware; you must also have the most recent CWM or TWRP recovery installed on it;
- This tutorial is only for HTC One M8, so do not apply it on any other HTC device; look for an updating tutorial for your handset and if you cannot find it, ask for our help and we’ll guide you;
- Anything that might happen to this device during the presented procedure is your responsibility only, so if you end up damaging or even bricking it, we are not the ones that can be blamed for that.
- Make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM; we strongly recommend you to do so as long as if something bad happens, you will be able to restore the stock Android firmware on your HTC One M8 – of course CM11 Android 4.4.2 will then be removed;
- You must unlock the bootloader on your device and enable the USB debugging option if you want to properly connect your phone with your computer by going to Menu >> Settings >> Developer options;
- As we have already said, a computer will be needed, so prepare it properly: for that, you have to disable the security protection and make sure that you have HTC’s One M8 USB drivers already installed;
- Make sure that the original USB cable is already near you;
- The phone must be charged up to at least 85% of battery, so it doesn’t turn off during the KitKat 4.4.2 CM11 ROM update.
After you’ve completed all the preparatory steps, you are ready to go!
And don’t forget that the updating procedure that we have here is compatible with both TWRP and CWM.
How to Update your HTC One M8 with CM11 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Custom ROM:
- Download KitKat 4.4.2 CM11 ROM for HTC One M8 from here; also download Android 4.4.2 Gapps – Google Apps from here;
- Now you must connect your computer to the smartphone and move the zip files that you have just downloaded to your phone’s root storage;
- It’s time to boot it into recovery mode by turning off your HTC One M8 and then pressing the Volume Down and Power Buttons; after that, you have to select the “fastboot” option followed by “recovery”;
- After being in recovery, you have to select “Data Wipeout / Factory reset option” and wipe all your data;
- Also select the “Wipe Cache” and then “Dalvik cache” from the Advanced Option;
- Return to the recovery menu and select the Install Zip from SD Card option; choose the KitKat 4.4.2 CM11 ROM file and install it;
- Do the same for the GApps zip file and install it;
- At the end, just select the +++Go Back++++ option and click on “Reboot system now” in order to reboot your HTC One M8.
Were you successful? Have you experienced any sort of problems with this updating procedure? For any suggestions or questions about your HTC One M8, don’t hesitate to use the comments area from below.
We’ll immediately help you!