Google Nexus 9 is running pure Android Lollipop OS by default, not to mention that since we are talking about a Nexus branded device, all future updates will be OTA received right from day one. So, why should you consider in updating your Nexus 9 with a custom ROM like CM 12 Nightlies? Well, the answer is intuitive as who isn’t willing to power up and customize their devices? Therefore, if you are an advanced Android user who wants to spice things up a little bit, CyanogenMod 12 is the right choice for your Google Nexus 9.
CM 12 Nightlies represents a custom ROM that is based on stock Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS. However, the firmware is not bringing the pure Lollipop experience as the platform comes with CyanogenMod default UI along with various dedicated features, apps and capabilities that cannot be found on the stock Android system. Bottom line, with CM 12 Nightlies installed on your Google Nexus 9 you can start to tweak your Android based device.
So, in a few words, if you choose to flash CM12 on your Nexus 9 you will also be able to customize, optimize and personalize your tablet. At the same time you will be able to bump the speeds, upgrade the battery life and improve other general hardware and software performances. The best is that CM 12 Nightlies is smoothly running on the Google Nexus 9, which means that you won’t be experiencing any bugs or other software related issues or problems.
However, if you choose to complete this update tutorial, you need to know that you are about to flash a custom ROM, which is not an official Android update released by Google for your Nexus 9. In fact, if you apply CM12, then you won’t be able to receive further OTAs – you will have to manually apply future official updates. Now, since you are about to complete an unofficial operation, keep in mind that you will lose the warranty of your Nexus device and that you are about to perform a complex and risky operation.
In fact, you must first root your Nexus 9 and install a custom recovery image, like TWRP or CWM recovery, on your tablet. The root access will ensure that the Lollipop firmware is unlocked and prepared for the custom ROM update, while the custom recovery image will be used on the flashing process – CM 12 Nightlies based on Android 5.0.2 comes in form of a .zip package.
Moreover, a wipe will be applied during the installation process from below, so it is quite important to save your data before testing CyanogenMod. In that matter, you should now take care of your personal data by using dedicated backup and restore apps – go to Google Play as you can download various apps from there.
There are risks to be considered before heading towards the installation process from below. Also, you have to complete other pre requisites in order to make things work. All these details can be checked here – don’t go any further without checking the mentioned step by step guide.
Update Google Nexus 9 with CM12 Nightlies Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM
- The first thing to do is to download the CM 12 Nightlies update package; so visit this page and download the Lollipop 5.0.2 firmware file.
- Save the update package on your computer but don’t unzip the file.
- Optional: download Google Apps package from any source you want – it is not included on the update file.
- Transfer the downloaded files on your Google Nexus 9 – connect your tablet with your computer and transfer the files.
- Then, unplug the USB cord, turn off your device and enter recovery mode on your Android tablet.
- You now need to wipe the system and to clear cache – do that or else CM 12 will not run on your device; thus select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Then, install the firmware file by selecting “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM12 ROM and install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS on your Google Nexus 9.
- Optional: repeat the process and flash Google Apps package.
- When done, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.
Great job; you have updated your Google Nexus 9 with CM 12 Nightlies Custom ROM, so now you can experience a different kind of Android Lollipop OS on your tablet.