Change DPI on Xiaomi Devices Running MIUI 9
One of the many tweaks you can apply to your Android device is changing its Dots Per Inch (DPI) size, and for the latest versions of the Android operating system, you don’t even have to root your device to do that anymore. In the past, the only way to change the DPI of your Android device was to root it and use a Xposed module or an application specially made for that function to change it, but things have changed now and they work in our favor, that’s for sure.
Since we are at this chapter, don’t you want to change the DPI on any of your Xiaomi Devices Running MIUI 9? Changing the DPI on your handset is so popular that Google has added the option to change the DPI with a sliding bar, but sadly, there is no such option in MIUI 9 overlay.
Even in these circumstances, nicholaschum, XDA Substratum Development Leader has found a method to carry out the tweak in MIUI 9, and you don’t even need to own a rooted handset.
Here I am to guide you and don’t forget that once you choose to change the DPI, your handset will retain the density even after the reboot. So, you are not forced to run the command via ADB every time you reboot your phone and it is totally up to you to use different MIUI themes without experiencing any sort of issues.
Prepare for the procedure:
- You have to install ADB and Fastboot Drivers on the computer used for the following procedure;
- Enable Developer Options, so go to Settings > About Phone. From here tap MIUI version number 7 times;
- If you’re not living in a China-based region, you have to use a VPN to spoof your location to an HK or China server.
Learn to Change the DPI on Xiaomi Devices Running MIUI 9:
- Turn off Wi-Fi, turn on mobile data and ensure that your device is linked to a Mi Account;
Connect your Xiaomi smartphone to the computer;
- Go to the directory where you have Fastboot and ADB on Windows: Open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt);
- In command prompt type in the following commands:
wm density 380
- That’s it! Your DPI is set to 380. You can make it smaller as well as per your liking;
- In order to reset the DPI type in the following commands one by one in command prompt:
wm density reset
If you are not in Hong Kong or a China based region, then you must install a VPN app from Google Play Store and connect to Hong Kong or China server. Even if you must do that, the rest of the procedure will remain the same.