How to Update AT&T Moto X to Android 4.4.4 KitKat
As it has been rumored, Motorola is finally ready to release the OTA (over the air) Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for its AT&T Moto X version. In case of not receiving the OTA until now, then we can only tell you that the firmware is gradually offered , so there are some lucky AT&T Moto X owners that will indeed have the chance to enjoy receiving the Android 4.4.4 KitKat notification sooner than many others that have to wait much longer.
Moreover, don’t forget that in order to flash the OTA software, your handset is supposed to be running on stock Android OS and yes it should not be rooted – in both these cases you will never receive the AT&T KitKat notification. So, what do you say? Don’t you think that it’s time to take action?
Yes, you can manually update your Motorola Moto X, but not before paying some attention to the steps given below, especially if you are not an advanced Android user.
Review the risks:
We want to be clear from the start about the fact that this is an official guide, so be sure that you will not lose the AT&T Moto X warranty by downloading and installing this OTA Android 4.4.4 KitKat update;
Anyway, there are other risks that you must take in consideration before thinking that your Motorola Moto X is perfectly safe; for example, you must verify if your handset is really compatible with this tutorial by confirming its model no. in the ‘About device’ option under Settings or by looking for it on the packaging box. If it isn’t XT1058, you must stop here! The update operation won’t work on any other Moto X version from Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, T-Mobile and so on, but you’ll only damage or brick the handset;
Don’t skip any step! They are included in this update tutorial for a reason, so be careful! We won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your Motorola Moto X, but you are the only one responsible for that!;
You won’t have the possibility to downgrade after flashing the Android 4.4.4 OTA update – you should know that from the start, just as the fact that you will also not have root or bootloader unlock after updating your AT&T handset to the most recent Android 4.4.4 version.
- Just as we are always telling you, making a backup of your data is essential as you might end up in losing everything that you have on the internal storage memory of your Moto X. The list includes your contacts, call logs, market apps, internet settings, personal data, info, accounts, photos and so on, so we are practically talking about your life! You don’t want to risk such a thing, we are sure of that, so don’t skip this step!;
- If you want to apply this guide, your AT&T Motorola Moto X should run on stock Android OS and have the stock recovery image. In any of these cases, you have to downgrade to stock Android OS and only after that you have the chance to apply the OTA Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware on your Motorola Moto X;
- A computer will be required, so don’t hesitate to temporarily deactivate the security protection (we are talking about an antivirus or any other antimalware program) that might interfere with the updating process;
- A connection between the PC and your Moto X will have to be established at some point during this updating guide, so it’s time to search for the original USB cable of your device;
- You must also install the appropriate USB drivers;
- Enable the USB debugging option by heading towards Menu – Settings – Developer Options;
- Is your smartphone properly charged? If the power left is less than 70%, you might get into trouble as the phone could power off during the procedure, so why not avoiding that from the very beginning? We can only recommend you to charge your Moto X before starting the updating procedure or it might get bricked.
Have you reviewed the lines from this list? Then, you are ready to begin the step-by-step tutorial:
How to Update AT&T Moto X to Android 4.4.4 KitKat
- Download the OTA Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for AT&T Moto X by using directly this link;
- Save it on your computer, but don’t unzip the update package just yet;
- Now you must connect your Moto X smartphone with your computer by using the original USB cord;
- Move the update file from desktop to root of your phone’s storage;
- Unplug the USB cord and then turn off your phone (in order to do so, just press the Power button once and select “Power off” or press and hold the Power key a few seconds);
- Enter your Moto X in recovery mode (after the handset is completely powered off, you have to hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons together and release them as soon as you see the usual Bootloader screen on your device’s screen; then, you must press the Volume Down key to scroll to Recovery and Volume Up for selecting it;
- Select “Apply update from SD card” from recovery mode just and then choose the Android KitKat firmware file;
- Wait until the update is being installed and after that reboot the handset.
That was all! If your Motorola Moto X will get stuck in a boot loop, you must return to recovery mode and from there select “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition”. We hope that it won’t be the case and that downloading and installing this OTA Android 4.4.4 KitKat OS on your AT&T Motorola Moto X will go perfectly from the first attempt.
If not, we are here to guide you, so don’t hesitate to ask for our help!