Only a few days ago the VP of Android confirmed that an update was headed to Nexus users all ver the world, focusing on brand new emoji characters and other changes. The Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update that everyone is talking about is being rolled out for all the Nexus devices right now and here I am with the OTA for the Nexus 9 WiFi version.
Let me tell you from the start that this Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for Google Nexus 9 comes with essential security patches and stability improvements, so yes, it is worthy of your full attention.
The OTA can be installed using the stock recovery, but make no mistake. In order to flash the below file, you must be the owner of a Nexus 9 WiFi tablet and to make sure that the battery is fully charged and prepared for such a procedure.
By that I mean that you should read these guides (How to Backup and Restore IMEI / NVRAM Data on Android Devices, Backup Android Data Without Root) and learn how to back up your precious data as long as a full wipe will be required for the second method.
Even more, you know that here I am to guide you, but don’t get me wrong. This doesn’t have to mean that I will be liable for any damage to your device.
How to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update on Nexus 9 WiFi (method 1):
- Download the OTA zip file by entering here to the computer;
- Use the USB cord to connect your PC to the Nexus 9 WiFi;
- Transfer the OTA zip file from your PC to your phone’s storage or SD card;
- Now, you need to boot your Nexus device into Stock Recovery mode;
- Once your phone boots into Recovery Mode, Select Apply Updates from phone’s storage;
- You must go to the OTA file that you have just saved on your phone;
- The installation process will start on your device and take a few minutes;
- Once the installation is completes, the handset will automatically reboot.
If after this update the system does not boot, a factory reset is the solution to your problem or you can also try to setup adb environment on your PC and install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on Nexus 9 with adb sideload. In such a case, don’t forget to install the Nexus USB Drivers on your computer (or else it cannot detect the phone) and set the full Android SDK package from Google (use this link to get to it).
How to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Update on Nexus 9 WiFi (method 2):
- From here you have to take the OTA package and put the file in the same directory where the adb is installed;
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC;
- Boot into stock recovery;
- Now on the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery;
- Once into the stock recovery, select the option apply update from adb;
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable;
- Navigate to the location where your adb and fastboot is installed on your PC;
- Launch a command prompt window. Don’t you know how to do it? With the folder with adb and fastboot files is open, hold shift key on keyboard, right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option;
- Issue the following command: adb sideload ota.zip;
- This will flash the ota update to your system.