Many complained about the fact that it’s taking too long for Samsung to incorporate the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update to its phones and they are not at all wrong. It has been a while and the truth is that several other brand’s leading smartphones already have the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on them, while Samsung is only at the beginning of the way.
However, now it’s time for your Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 to get the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow treatment. You can also manually check availability of the new software by going to Settings – About phone – System updates – Check For Updates, but if there is nothing waiting for you there, then this guide is for you.
First of all, you can use this post only if you are an advanced user, as I cannot be blamed in case you brick the Galaxy S5 nor in case you lose any data during the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update process. However, these should be out of the question if you carefully follow the steps from bellow and an Android AOSP user interface and tons of customizations are going to wait for you at the end of the journey.
For that to be possible, you must download and install the USB drivers for the Canadian Galaxy S5 as you need these drivers to connect your Android phone with the computer. For that, don’t forget that you must use a computer for downloading the required files. On your smartphone, enable Developer Options and check the USB Debugging by entering into Menu – Settings – About phone and taping several times on Built Number. Then, you have to access Menu – Settings – Developer options.
Up next, back up any important data before going forward for the Android Marshmallow update tutorial. I know that this is an official operation, but it’s better to be prepared for anything than regretting later. And don’t make the mistake of applying these steps on any other handset. You must be the owner of one of Samsung‘s Galaxy S5 Canada editions: EastLink, Koodo Mobile, Bell Mobile, Telus, or SaskTel. To be more precise, the model number supported must be SM – G900W8, so verify the version of your phone under Settings> About Phone.
And don’t start the procedure if your Samsung device is not properly charged either! This is the worst time ever for taking any chances, don’t you think? For that, ensure that your Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone carries more than 70% of charge.
How to Flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Canadian Samsung Galaxy S5:
- For the start, take the Android 6.0.1 firmware file by using one of these links:
– enter here to take Android 6.0.1 update for Canada EastLink;
– grab the Android 6.0.1 update for Canada Koodo Mobile from here;
– use this link to take the Android 6.0.1 update for Canada Telus;
– the Android 6.0.1 update for Canada SaskTel is also available via this link;
– the Android 6.0.1 update for Canada Bell Mobile can be found here.
- Download Odin 3.10.7 zip from here too;
Extract its content and place it on your PC or laptop;
- Turn off your smartphone;
- After that, boot it in Download Mode;
- Launch Odin exe on your PC;
- Connect the device to your computer via the original USB cable;
- In Odin, you have to disable the ‘re-partition’ and leave the other options as they are;
- Click the AP button;
- Go to the update file that you have previously saved on the computer;
- Load it in ODIN;
- Once everything is set and ready, just hit the Start button in Odin to begin flashing the stock-ROM;
- Do not interrupt the phone while already in flashing progress, like disconnecting the cable or turning it off;
- When the new update is flashed you will see the PASS alert in ODIN and your phone will reboot.
Now, just enjoy the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow features on your Samsung Galaxy S5 and don’t forget to share your experience with us.