How to Root Sony Xperia Z on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
If you are the owner of a Sony Xperia Z running on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and if you would like to get better performance out of your device, then I have a suggestion for you: why don’t you root it? If you decide to apply such a unlock procedure, you will be able to install custom-built apps and remove those applications that you simply find as being annoying, install a custom ROM firmware, overclock your Android device, improve the battery life and so on.
If you don’t know which are the steps to complete when trying to root the Sony Xperia Z on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, don’t worry. That is why I am here for in the first place, so don’t hesitate to follow the preparatory steps and the instructions given below.
First of all, make a backup of your data and make sure that you have downloaded the Sony Xperia Z USB drivers and installed them in your computer. Only if you do that, you will be able to connect your smartphone with the computer successfully. Also deactivate the security protection that might interfere with the root procedure and ensure that you have enabled USB debugging mode in your smartphone.
For that, first enable Developer options by entering into Settings -> About Phone (tap several times on the build number to enable Developer options. Up next, go to Settings -> Developer options -> USB debugging and don’t hesitate to tap on the box next to it to enable USB debugging).
Ensure that your smartphone has at least 60% battery charge as long as the rooting process is a battery consuming one. And I also want to warn you about the fact that after completing this step by step guide you won’t be able to use your Xperia Z warranty. Rooting the handset is not an official operation, so the warranty will now get void. Be careful when dealing with the guidelines that you can find here, don’t mix or skip the steps and assume your responsibility. I cannot be blamed for your mistakes.
Upon finishing these prerequisites and understanding the risks coming along with such an operation, you can move forward to the rooting tutorial given below.
How to Root your Sony Xperia Z on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop:
- On your computer, you have to take the SuperSU package from here;
- Don’t unzip it yet;
- Then, connect your smartphone with your PC by plugging in the original USB cord;
- Transfer the downloaded file on your phone;
- Then, you have to remove the USB cable;
- Power off your device;
- You have to enter recovery mode on your Xperia Z phone;
- From recovery, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition”, as well as “wipe dalvik cache”;
- Up next, from the main menu of recovery, it is the ideal time to select “install zip from SD card”;
- Then, “choose zip from SD card”;
- Pick the root exploit and resume the flashing process.
- When done, simply select “reboot system now”.
Have you encountered any problem while performing this guide? Tell me more about it and I will get back to you at the earliest possible time.