How to Enable Tracking Autofocus on the Samsung Galaxy S7
Taking photos for a moving object has never been an easy task. Galaxy S7 offers camera tracking AF (auto focus) for you to get better photos with moving objects and in case of not knowing about it, let me tell you that this is your chance to track and automatically focus on a selected subject, even when the subject is moving or when you change the shooting composition.
This feature can be found in some DSLR cameras, not commonly on smartphone cameras, but I am glad to find such exceptions as well. By default, the Samsung Galaxy S7 camera tracking AF (auto focus) is turned off and you must follow these steps to enable it before you can use the auto focus tracking. Why should you do that?
Just let your imagination run wild and shoot your adventurous friend doing something crazy once again or capture your little one on his first bike ride. In all such cases, keeping the focus on your subject is essential. The tracking autofocus feature in the Galaxy S7 follows moving subjects around, making sure they stay sharp in every picture you snap.
Here’s what you must do in order to enable the feature:
How to Enable Tracking Autofocus on your Samsung Galaxy S7:
- First of all, you have to open the Camera app; do that by tapping the Camera app icon in the favorite tray in Galaxy S7 home screen or by tapping the Camera app icon in Galaxy 7 Apps screen (aka App drawer, All Apps);
- Up next, you must tap Settings on the top left;
- At this point, you just have to slide the Tracking Autofocus switch to the right;
- Now, when you aim your device at a person, just tap on his or her face, and a yellow box will appear in order to indicate your selected focal point;
- Be sure that the camera will keep that part of the scene in focus, just as you want it to happen.
I am not able to to turn on the tracking autofocus. It stays faded not giving me the option to enable it. I have tried so many times and have rebooted my phone but it still will not let me turn it on. I have missed so many shots of my son playing his sports :( Can someone please help me? Much thanks.
Me too – have you found any solutions? cheers
No, I haven’t and it is so aggravating. I can not take any good pics of my son playing basketball. When I’m due for an upgrade I’m going back to either an LG or a Droid. I have heard the new s8 is supposed to better with the camera but I haven’t looked into it yet. I hope you have better luck than I have.
You can turn it on in the actual phone settings.
Then you can move the slider. For some reason you can’t just do it from the camera.
Yes, I did try that a few times. I already had it turned on bit turned it off and back on. I also turned it off, restarted my phone then turned it on again bit the tracking will not stay in my son. It keeps bouncing all of the place and focusing on the background. The only good pics I can get is when my son stands still. I can’t get any of him dribbling or shooting the ball.