Update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.1 with Carbon Custom ROM
Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 owners can now enjoy Android 4.4.1 KitKat with Carbon Rom that you have probably heard about. This aftermarket firmware is of course based on the Android Open Source Project and might sound like an interesting idea for several of you, but do you know what exactly are you supposed to do? Here we are to help you update your Galaxy S4 device to Android 4.4.1 with Carbon Custom ROM by offering you not only a step-by-step guide, but also all the information that we must be aware of before proceeding such sort of a tutorial. First of all, in order to be completely sure that you have a compatible device, you must check the ‘About device’ option under Settings before following the procedure.
If you are the lucky user of a GT-I9505 Samsung Galaxy S4, things can work just fine. But if the model number is GT-I9500 or you have your device from AT&T, C-Spire Verizon, T-Mobile, or Sprint which also have a different model number, this tutorial is not for you.
In the second place, don’t leave aside the fact that older versions of CWM and TWRP recoveries are not working properly with Android 4.4 based ROMs. If you don’t want any installation errors, then use the latest version your recovery (at least TWRP v188.8.131.52 or at least CWM v184.108.40.206).
- Before continuing reading, we must tell you that the following procedure will void your warranty, and if you do something incorrectly, it could damage your Galaxy S4 GT-I9505. We don’t have any responsibility for bricking your device or anything that might go wrong;
- In order to avoid any potential problems when it comes to connecting Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 to the computer, you simply need to enable USB debugging mode;
- Don’t forget that backing up you data is essential as we don’t want anyone losing their personal data or apps;
- Of course, you’ll also need a Windows PC, but you must connect the device using the USB cable it came with and not just any old USB cable. And don’t start the process before checking that your device and your computer are at least 50% charged;
- Download the File name: gapps-kk-20131119.zip from here;
- Download the File name: CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20131209-0412-jfltexx.zip from here;
- Transfer both these files to a separate folder on your Galaxy S4 GT-I9505.
How to update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.1 with Carbon Custom ROM (for CWM users):
- Boot into recovery mode;
- Here, use Volume buttons to navigate between options and use Power button to select a specific option;
- Create a Nandroid Backup from recovery, by going to Backup And Restore » Backup;
- Perform a Factory Reset by selecting Wipe data/Factory reset, then selecting Yes on the next screen to confirm the factory reset;
- Go to ‘Mounts and storage‘, select ‘format /system‘, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm System format;
- Install the ROM file by selecting Install zip » Choose zip from sdcard or external sdcard», browse it to the location where you saved the file and select the ROM file;
- Flash the Gapps file;
- Make sure to first flash the ROM file and then the Gapps file;
- Go the main menu of recovery and select Reboot system now;
- Your Galaxy S4 will now reboot and the process will be finished.
How to update Galaxy S4 to Android 4.4.1 with Carbon Custom ROM (for TWRP users):
- Just as for the CWM users, you have to boot into recovery mode, to create a Nandroid Backup from recovery, to perform a Factory Reset and a System format as well;
- Then you must install the ROM file by taping on Install ‘browse to the location where you saved the files’ and taping on the ROM file;
- Go to Swipe to confirm flash option to begin flashing;
- Flash the Gapps file;
- Reboot your device and then it will take a few minutes before finally installing Carbon ROM.
If your handset gets bootloop, you must do a factory reset and the problem will be solved. So, for those needing any help or advice, feel free to use the comments section bellow.