Google has just started rolling out the Android 6.0 Marshmallow over-the-air update with build MRA58K for a variety of Nexus devices and your Nexus 6 is no exception. And the story gets even better than that. I am talking about the Android community which has already working beta build of SuperSU (v2.50) root package in its bid to successfully root Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
So, here I am to share a simple rooting guide with SuperSU for a Nexus device loved by so many owners: none other than Nexus 6. This rooting method uses TWRP recovery for flashing the kernel image files, so in order to succeed, you must download the latest TWRP software (version 2.8) from the link below.
However, there are some important preparatory steps that you must take care of and here I am to guide you all the way. For the start, enter into Menu – Settings – About phone and tap several times on Built Number for gaining Developer Rights; after that, go into Menu – Settings – Developer options and you can finally check the USB Debugging field.
Have you downloaded the appropriate USB drivers in order to connect the device with the computer? If not, do that now and Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer (take the Android SDK from here or the ADB and fastboot installer from here).
Then, you unlock the bootloader of your Google Nexus 6 and as a measure of precaution, I also advice you to take a backup of your important data such as contacts, text messages, call logs, calendar info, images, passwords, market apps, videos, audio files, IMEI / NVRAM data, internet settings and more.
No less important before ensuring root access on Android 6.0 Marshmallow, charge the Nexus 6 right away if the battery status currently shows less than 60% power left or you risk bricking it if it turns off during the procedure and understand what this procedure really is.
You know that rooting brings a world of possibilities, but it’s also an unofficial operation, so be prepared to accept voiding the warranty or take in consideration this guide on How to Restore the Warranty on your Android device.
How to Root Nexus 6 running on Android 6.0 Marshmallow:
- Take the custom kernel for your device by accessing this Kernel-shamu-mra58k-color-root.zip link;
- Then, also take SuperSU v2.50 from here;
- Here you can find the latest TWRP recovery;
- Transfer them to your computer/laptop;
- Power off your Nexus 6 device;
- Boot into recovery mode, so press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together until the screen turns on and then it should boot into fastboot mode; then, press Volume Down twice to enter recovery screen, and then press Power button to select the recovery option;
- Install the custom kernel first;
- In the main menu of TWRP recovery, hit Install;
- Go to the location where you saved the custom kernel file;
- Select it;
- Then, do a ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’ from the bottom of the screen to flash the kernel;
- Repeat the same procedure in order to flash SuperSU file as well;
Return to recovery’s main menu and select Reboot> System.
Learn How to Install Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow on Google Nexus 6 with the help of this guide.