Update International LG G3 D855 with CM12 Nightlies Android 5.0 Lollipop OS
As you might already know, CyanogenMod released its Nightly CM12 custom ROM officially, for various Android based smartphones and tablets. Well, among these different devices, the CM 12 firmware is also available for the International model of LG G3. Thus, if you want to tweak your Android phone you can now choose to update it with a custom version of Android 5.0 Lollipop OS: CM12 Nightlies.
The official built of CM 12 is coming with great and useful features, apps and capabilities. Also, the Nightlies built unveils a stable and smooth Android 5.0 Lollipop experience that can now be safely used on the LG G3 D855. All the features that are included on the CM platform can be used for improving the general performances of your Android device. So, bottom line, now you can bump the speeds, upgrade the battery life and power up other hardware and software performances while enjoying a redesigned Lollipop system.
Of course, the CM 12 ROM is not bringing stock or default Android 5.0 Lollipop OS to your International LG G3. So, don’t expect to receive a pure Android experience as that isn’t the case. CyanogenMod is developed by third party devs and only based on stock firmware. In fact, the ROM represents a free aftermarket distribution of Lollipop software that shouldn’t be related with LG or with Google in any matter.
Because of that, consider this update operation risky and complex. Also, notice that these kinds of updates are recommended only for advanced Android users – the same thing is applying when talking about other custom ROMs such as AOKP or ParanoidAndroid. Moreover, since this isn’t an official update, by completing this step by step guide you will now lose your phone’s warranty – if something bad happens, you will have to manually fix your bricked LG G3 as the warranty can’t be reclaimed any more.
If you have decided to update your LG G3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop with CM 12 Nightlies, then first of all root your smartphone. Root access must be ensured because a custom ROM must modify and access in built features, programs and apps – else this installation process can’t be done. Also, after ensuring root, you also have to install a custom recovery image on your LG G3 – in that matter you should consider in using CWM or TWRP recovery. The custom recovery is a must because the ROM can be flashed only through this software.
Complete the tasks from above before doing anything else. Also, before going any further check how to prepare your phone for the update process that will follow – read the lines from the mentioned tutorial as there you will find everything that’s related to this update operation. On your way, don’t forget to backup your LG G3 before installing CM 12 Nightlies – if you don’t temporarily save your data, you will end up in losing everything from the internal storage memory of your phone.
A Nandroid backup is also more than indicated. In this way you can save the Android OS that is currently running on your G3, which means that you can also restore the firmware if CM12 isn’t what you really need.
How to Update International LG G3 D855 with CM12 Nightlies Android 5.0 Lollipop OS
- First of all, on your computer – preferable on desktop – download and save the CM 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware – you can get the update package from this page.
- It’s important not to unzip the downloaded file.
- Ensure a connection between your LG G3 and your computer and when ready transfer the CM file on your phone.
- When done, remove the USB cord and also reboot recovery mode on your G3 D855.
- Before flashing the ROM you need to wipe the system and clear cache.
- Thus, select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Return to main menu of recovery when you are done and select “install zip from SD card” followed by “choose zip from SD card”.
- Now pick the CM 12 custom ROM file and install Android 5.0 Lollipop OS on your LG G3.
- Good; in the end, reboot into Lollipop by choosing “reboot system now”.
That’s it; now you can safely and easily experience Android 5.0 Lollipop through CM 12 Nightlies right on your International LG G3 D855.