How to Update Zperia Z2 D6503 with Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS
Sony Mobile has started the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow rollout on the Xperia Z2 and Z3 series. The update is currently live for the Xperia Z2 (D6503 only), Xperia Z3 (D6603 only), as well as Xperia Z3 Compact (D5803 only) and we would expect other variants to see the update shortly after. The new Marshmallow update includes the Camera 2.0.0 user interface and the February Android security patch level, so I bet that you are waiting to have all these on your Zperia Z2 D6503 device.
However, if you want to skip the wait and enjoy the Android M update right away, then you should know that the full firmware package is already available online and that can mean only one thing: you can now manually update your Sony Xperia Z2 with the help of this procedure.
Remember thought some important parts: if your Xperia Z2 is rooted, or installed with a custom ROM, if you choose to flash the Marshmallow update manually, the root access will be revoked and the stock recovery will be reinstalled.
Up next, a manual update operation can be completed only if you can use a computer or a laptop and your Sony Xperia Z2 and its USB cable will also have to be there. Then, from Menu – Settings – About phone, you have to tap several times on Built Number in order to become a Developer. Then, enter into Menu – Settings – Developer options and check the USB Debugging option.
And it’s better to save your data before doing anything else. Of course, I am talking about all your Zperia Z2 D6503 contacts, call logs, texts, market apps, images, audio files, videos, internet settings, IMEI / NVRAM data, EFS, calendar info or saved passwords. Despite of the fact that it is really unlikely to lose something when applying an official update, since it is about your personal data, you can never be too sure about anything.
Even more, you have to charge your device before doing anything else, or you might brick your phone in case it gets turned off in the middle of the flashing process.
After taking good care of all these, you may begin:
How to Update Zperia Z2 D6503 with Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow OS:
- For the start, enter here and download the Sony Flash tool file on your computer;
- Also install the Sony Xperia Z2 USB drivers and the Android SDK utility;
- Next, from this page download the Android 6.0.1 M update package;
- Run the Flash Tool utility on your handset;
- Tap on the three dots button and load the update package you want to install;
- Then, from the right panel, choose all the options listed there;
- Uncheck the No final verification option from the bottom of the screen;
- Click on the Flash button and when prompted, select Flashmode;
- Power off your device;
- After that, you have to connect it with your computer while pressing the Volume button;
- The program will now recognize your smartphone and the update process will be initiated;
- When the operation is over, all you have to do is to reboot the Xperia Z2 smartphone.