How to Install CM12.1 Stable Android 5.1.1 ROM on Galaxy S4 Mini 3G
I have great news for the Galaxy S4 Mini 3G owners. The CM 12.1 Stable Android 5.1.1 ROM is finally available for your Android device as well and I know that you cannot say no to such a temptation. After all, CyanogenMod is the most popular custom Android firmware of the moment and it is in pure stock Android form, with no bloatware at all, so what more could you be asking for?
However, I want to be clear from the start about the fact that you can use this tutorial only with the International Galaxy S4 Mini 3G version; to be more specific, your phone’s codename has to be “serrano3gxx”, model number GT I9190, so do not try the CM12.1 software on any other device or version.
Flashing a file on an incompatible smartphone may result in bricking it and you are the only one responsible for that. In fact, if something goes wrong during this operation, I cannot be held responsible. Such procedures involve a high risk, so make sure that you know what you are doing and that you can carefully read all the steps.
Is you Galaxy S4 Mini 3G ready for the installation processof CM 12.1 based on Lollipop OS? The first thing that you need to do is to make sure that you take a backup of all your important data, not to mention that you cannot be successful if the handset is not already rooted and even more, the latest version of a custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP has to be installed on it, too.
Does your SGS4 Mini 3G has at least around 60% battery charge remaining? Let me tell you that if the battery runs out before the CM12.1 installation process can be completed, your phone will get easily bricked, not to mention that you have to verify that the USB Debugging option is checked under Developer options. In order to do that, just enter in Settings – Developer Options – USB Debugging to make sure that the USB Debugging option has been checked. If it is not checked already, do that now.
And don’t forget that you must use a PC or a laptop, so install Galaxy’s S4 Mini 3G drivers there in order to connect them later and temporarily deactivate any security protection that you might have on your PC.
How to Install CM 12.1 Stable Android 5.1.1 ROM on Galaxy S4 Mini 3G:
- Download the CM 12.1 Snapshot for this device from here on your PC;
- Download Gapps for you handset as well; use this link to do that;
- Copy both the downloaded .zip files to the internal or external storage of your device by using the original USB cord;
- Power off the device;
- Boot your Galaxy S4 Mini in Custom Recovery Mode; do that by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Key at the same time;
- For CWM you must select ‘wipe data/ factory reset’, while for TWRP, just open ‘Wipe’ menu;
- Confirm the ‘factory reset’;
- Now, you are ready for the CM 12.1 Snapshot ROM installation;
- Select the ‘Install’ option;
- Browse your phone’s internal storage for the CM 12.1 zip file;
- Up next, you have to confirm the installation as well;
- After CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable ROM installation is completed, you also have to flash the Gapps zip;
- Reboot the Galaxy S4 Mini in normal mode.
If you’re stuck with anything or if you have any question regarding one of the steps from this guide, feel free to reach me out through the comment or through the contact page.