How to Flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightlies on Motorola Moto X 2014
As you could notice, the Motorola Moto X 2014 just received the CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightlies, so what are you waiting for? Your smartphone can be successfully updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS, but in order to complete this update operation, there are some things to take care of.
From the start, remember that Android 6.0 Marshmallow isn’t available in an official form for your Moto X 2014 and that the CM 13 Nightly Android 6.0 M is not provided by Motorola or by Google. This time, it is only developed by third paty devs and it is only based on stock Marshmallow OS, which means that you are about to complete an unofficial operation that will void the warranty of your phone.
Despite of this major disadvantage, I want to be clear about the fact that the CM13 Nightly ROM is stable and it will smoothly run on your Motorola Moto X, just like an official firmware, so don’t worry about this aspect.
You should worry instead about making a Nandroid backup which is necessary as long as this is your chance to save the current ROM that powers your phone. So, if the CyanogenMod system will not be what you are looking for, you can use the Nandroid backup for downgrading your smartphone. Then, keep in mind that your Motorola Moto X 2014 must be rooted and running TWRP or CWM.
Since you are going to use a PC for the procedure, you should install the Moto X Drivers and don’t forget to deactivate the antivirus which could easily become a problem in this case. On your smartphone you have to gain Developer Option, a feature that is usually hidden by default, so it’s time to find your way to Menu – Settings – About phone and to tap a few times on Built Number. Then, access Menu – Settings – Developer options and check the USB Debugging feature in order to avoid any possible problems while trying to connect your Moto X smartphone with your computer.
And don’t leave aside another important step: you have to charge your device as it can get bricked in case it gets turned off during the Marshmallow update.
How to Flash CM 13 Android 6.0 Nightlies on Motorola Moto X 2014:
- Let’s start with the download of the CM13 ROM from here on your computer;
- Then, you have to take Google apps and the boot image by using this link;
- Connect the Motorola Moto X 2014 phone with your computer, so plug in the USB cable;
- Now, move both files on your device;
- Remove the cable and continue the procedure;
- Turn it off;
- Then, enter recovery mode menu on it;
- It’s time to backup your ROM, so tap on the backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and making a swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- Up next, you must clean up the system, so select “wipe data factory reset”, followed by “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”;
- Return to the main menu of recovery;
- From there, select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”;
- Find the CM 13 zip and confirm installation process;
- Have patience and then, go back to the recovery homescreen;
- From there, install the Google Apps package too by using the same steps as the ones used for the firmware file;
- Don’t forget to choose “reboot system now”. It’s essential if you want to save the changes!