The Android 5.0.1 I545VRUGOF1 update is being OTA rolled out to Verizon Galaxy S4, thus during the following tutorial I am going to teach you how to flash the new firmware, manually through Odin.
Along with the changes and bug fixes offered by any update, this one is also recommended for the StageFright vulnerability. As you now, this Android bug allows attackers to gain access to your important data after opening a MMS video message; so, if you don’t want to have your Verizon Galaxy S4 data stolen from your smartphone, then you should immediately flash the latest Android Lollipop -I545VRUGOF1- firmware.
If the manual Lollipop update is your choice as well, then you know how dangerous StageFright really is and yes, you must be frustrated of waiting for the OTA to come to your Verizon Galaxy S4 too. I totally support you with your decision to take action, but take one step at a time.
Before proceeding to the update, you are advised to create a complete backup of all important data stored there; I am referring to your precious contacts, videos, movies, photos, songs and not only, just to be on the safe side if something bad happens. Also note that the USB Debugging mode must be enabled on your S4 device, so access Menu – Settings – About phone in order to tap several times on built number; after that, enter into Menu – Settings – Developer options and feel free to check the USB debugging feature.
You must also install the Verizon Galaxy S4 drivers on the PC to easily connect it to your smartphone and do not forget to shut down any antivirus program you run on both your device and PC as this might stop the procedure. In such a situation, your device may get bricked, just as it could also happen if you forget to check the battery charge level and to make sure that it is over 60%.
Read: How to Easily Fix your Damaged / Bricked Android device
And there is one more thing that I want you to be aware of. You should use this post only with the Samsung Galaxy S4 Verizon version, so make no mistake – the Android Lollipop I545VRUGOF1 firmware has been released only for the mentioned handset. The best thing is to check the model number of your device under About Phone menu and make sure that it is the SCH -I545 variant or you have to stop here. This guide would not be for you!
How to Flash Android 5.0.1 I545VRUGOF1 on your Verizon Galaxy S4:
- Download the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop OTA package for your device with the help of this link and place it on your desktop;
- Also download Odin3 v3.10.6 zip from here;
- Next, you have to connect your handset to your PC via USB;
- Do not hesitate to transfer the downloaded file to your Galaxy S4 handset;
- Then, you have to detach the USB cable;
- Return to Odin, disable the Re-Partition option;
- Click on the AP option;
- Find the I545VRUGOF1 firmware tar.md5 file as you have to load it in ODIN;
- Tap the Start button in order to initiate the updating process;
- When the Android 5.0.1 firmware is flashed by ODIN with success, be sure that you will see the ‘PASS’ alert;
- Unplug the device from PC only when the ‘optimizing apps’ screen loads;
- Log into your device and enjoy the changes!
In case you had any problems completing the tutorial, then use the comments field or the contact form and you can be sure that I’m going to find a way to help you.