Enjoy Sony AOSP Concept Marshmallow ROM on Xperia Z3 Compact
In case of not knowing, Sony’s Concept Software is nothing else than a project launched by Sony as an attempt to bring the latest version of Android Marshmallow to various Xperia devices. Things look promising as long as Sony has been testing out its concept of AOSP ROMs for quite a while. The company started with the Lollipop builds for Xperia Z series devices earlier, and now it’s time for the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow builds to be tested on the Xperia Z series devices.
These builds are based on the stock Android and many of you will love the fact that they have minimal customizations. Among the Xperia line, one of the smartphones able to enjoy Sony’s AOSP 6.0.1 Marshmallow Concept ROM is none other than Sony Xperia Z3 Compact.
The Z3 Compact is currently running on Lollipop and a Marshmallow update is promised somewhere in the future, but my guess is that your presence here is the best sign that waiting is not really your thing. So, until then, you can try Sony’s Marshmallow Concept ROM. The ROM is based on 6.0.1 Marshmallow under AOSP code. This means that the ROM features a complete stock Android experience with no changes by Sony.
This is the best way to test Marshmallow on your Xperia Z3 Compact, but nor before being prepared for that and fully understanding what such a procedure means. First of all, you must take a backup of your important data as long as this procedure will wipe everything off your device. Then, you will need an unlocked bootloader device and a fully charged one to stay away from troubles.
And remember that Sony’s concept builds aren’t the final builds which means that they are only meant for testing purposes only. If they come with few bugs, you shouldn’t be surprised, but understand that this is how things work in such cases.
How to Install Sony AOSP Concept Marshmallow ROM on Xperia Z3 Compact:
- To enjoy Sony’s AOSP 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM on your Xperia Z3 Compact, you need the AOSP 6.0.1 Marshmallow FTF ROM from here;
- Here you can also find Flashtool;
- Also take the TA backup tools by entering here;
- First of all, you must back up the TA partition. This partition contains DRM keys, which are essential for various parts of the phone; for that, you must unzip the TA backup tools, connect your phone to the computer, run backup-ta.bat and follow the instructions;
- After you’ve made a backup of the TA partition, you can begin with the ROM installation process;
- Install Flashtool from the download link above;
- Then, go to “C:\Flashtool\drivers” and install flashmode and fastboot drivers;
- Download the TFT Marshmallow firmware and move it to “C:\User\PCName\.flashTool\firmwares;
- Now open Flashtool;
- Tap on Flash Devices > Flashmode and the Marshmallow FTF file should appear;
- Do not forget to also check APPS_LOG and USERDATA;
- Click ‘Flash’ and follow the instructions to flash the ROM;
- Note that if it asks about using scripts, you should click No;
- Now Flashtool will start flashing Sony’s 6.0.1 AOSP Concept ROM on the Xperia Z3 Compact;
- Let the phone boot up and then check for any software updates.
That is how you can install the 6.0.1 Marshmallow FTF firmware on your Xperia Z3 Compact.