Do you know that Samsung has started rolling out the official Android 5.1.1 update out to its flagship device, the popular Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge one? The first version that received the Android 5.1.1 firmware is the US Cellular variant of the Samsung Galaxy S6 with model number SM – G925R4 and here I am with a fresh guide for all the owners of this model.
If you did not receive the OTA up to now, you can manually check it by tapping the Update Now option under Settings> About> Software update. If you are a rooted user however, or if you are using a custom ROM on your US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, then you are not eligible to receive the OTA notification.
In such cases, do not hesitate to use this post if you need to learn how to successfully install this firmware on your device, but do it under your own responsibility only. Keep in mind that this operation might damage your phone if you do not follow the instructions carefully and do not blame me if you brick the phone or lose any data.
Speaking of data, make a backup of everything that’s important for you such as call logs, text messages, images, videos, IMEI / NVRAM, market apps, internet settings, audio files, saved passwords and not only.
Enable the USB Debugging on your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, so enter into Settings > Developer Options > Enable USB Debugging and do not forget to check the battery percentage as it should be over 60% in order to prevent your Galaxy S6 Edge phone from powering down during installation. As for your computer, download and install Samsung’s USB drivers in order to ensure a stable connection between the phone and the computer.
And one more thing: make no mistake and check the model number under Settings> About Phone as it has to be SM – G925R4. Do not update any other devices or versions with the Android 5.1.1 Firmware file that you will find in this guide as it cannot work and even worst, you take chances regarding the safety of these handsets.
How to Install Android 5.1.1 G925R4TYU2BOG9 Firmware on US Cellular Galaxy S6 Edge:
- Take the Android 5.1.1 Firmware from here;
- Also download the usual Odin flashing tool; take Odin3 v3.10.6 zip from here;
- You must extract both files;
- Go to the Odin folder and open the program;
- Click on AP and navigate to the folder where the firmware got extracted and select the tar.md5 file.
- Take your phone and turn it off;
- Press the power, home and volume down key at the same time to put the phone in download mode;
- Connect the phone to the computer using a USB cable;
- If everything is installed correctly, one of the boxes in Odin will change color;
- Then, you must click the Start button;
- Once the process is over, the Galaxy S6 Edge phone will reboot into the home screen, so enjoy the changes.
Feel free to use the comments field from below and share your thoughts with me and with other readers.