How to Install Android M (MPA44I) Developer Preview 3 on Nexus 5
Have you heard the news about the third and final update to the Android M Developer Preview? It seems that it is already available for selected Nexus devices and if you currently own a Google Nexus 5, then I’m glad to let you know that your smartphone is included in the list as well.
If you already have the idea of flashing in mind, you can only imagine that I am here to help you.
The new Android M update with build number MPA44I can be downloaded manually for your Nexus 5, but before getting to the actual guide, there are some important preparatory steps that you cannot skip under any circumstances.
First of all, make sure that you are making no mistake and this is the Android device that you own, so I advice you to avoid and potential unpleasant surprise and verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
Installing this Android M firmware on any other Nexus branded phone might damage it or even brick it. Then, make sure that the Google Nexus 5 is rooted, that you have unlocked the device’s bootloader (by running the following command: fastboot oem unlock) and that you have the latest CWM or TWRP recovery already installed.
Even more, do not forget to enable the USB Debugging from Developer Options on your Nexus 5 before updating to developer preview on Android M. In case you cannot find the Developer Options, then you must go to Settings> About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number section; then, return to Settings after you’ve unlocked the Developer Options menu, open it, find the USB Debugging option and enable it. You also have to back up all your precious data and ensure the device has at least 60% battery charge to prevent any unexpected shutdown causes by battery drain. As for your computer, download the appropriate drivers and install them on your PC.
There is always some risk of temporarily or permanently damaging your Nexus 5 device while applying such procedures, so be prepared to face the consequences. I cannot be held liable if anything bad happens to your smartphone while applying the guide from below.
Are you truly comfortable with the risks involved and feel prepared for the operation? Then, here are the steps that you must follow; keep in mind that you must read the whole guide and do not skip any steps:
How to Install Android M (MPA44I) Developer Preview 3 on your Nexus 5:
- For the start, take the Android 6.0 Factory Image for your Nexus 5 handset on your computer; use this direct link for that;
- Then, you must connect the Nexus device to your computer via USB cable;
- Power off your phone;
- Next, you must boot it into Fastboot/Bootloader mode, so turn on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons until the Fastboot menu and START icon can be seen on the screen;
- Then, extract the downloaded file to a desired location on your PC;
- Go to the firmware folder and then copy/paste all the files to the Fastboot directory;
- Using factory image files in your Fastboot directory, its time to run the following command:
On Windows, you have to run the file “flash-all.bat”;
On Mac, you have to run the file “flash-all.sh” using Terminal;
On Linux, you have to run the file “flash-all.sh”;
- Wait for the installation process to complete;
- Then, your Nexus phone will reboot.
That was all! Do tell me how the procedure worked for you and stay close for further step by step guides on this topic. Google has rolled out the updated version of Android 6.0 Developer Preview 3 factory images for other devices such as Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player and I’ll cover all of them in the upcoming tutorials.