How to Update HTC One M8
Are you the happy owner of a new HTC One M8? Then, it might be the ideal time to be talking about the possibility of updating your Android smartphone by making it clear from the start that we are talking about two different methods for each Android handset.
As you have already imagined, the first one refers to the official Android OS, while the other one is installing a custom ROM firmware. In this article, we are going to focus our attention towards the update with the official Android firmware which can be made by flashing the OTA release or by manually installing the firmware on your 2014 HTC One M8.
Review the risks:
- This procedure will not void the warranty of your phone, but don’t you imagine that there are no other dangers for your device. Be careful about the fact that you must follow each step as presented without mixing the order;
- This tutorial can be used by beginners and advanced users as well, but it only works with HTC One M8, so do not try it on a different HTC branded device – apply Android official and custom updates only on the mentioned phone;
- Proceed at your own risk and understand that we don’t assume any responsibility for your phone.
- Prepare a computer; the security programs must be temporarily disabled, as well as the antivirus and antimalware programs;
- Backup all important data from your HTC One M8 in case of wanting to use it later as well;
- Install the appropriate HTC One M8 USB Drivers in the computer;
- Enable both the Developer Option and the USB Debugging mode;
- Do not hesitate to charge your HTC One M8 smartphone if the battery status shows less than 50% power left; the handset might get bricked if it turns off in the middle of the update operation.
By using the tutorials from below, you will be able to learn how to perform any of these update operations; be careful about each step and good luck:
How to update your HTC One M8 with a new OTA Android update:
The first tutorial helps you in that situation when an official update notification is received by your handset. The new update is usually sent over-the-air and you can follow these steps in order to learn how to complete the process:
- Start by opening the Notification bar and then tap on the Android OS update alert that you have received;
- Make sure that you’re on a Wi-Fi connection before actually starting the download;
- You must confirm the download and the installation as well;
- Your HTC One M8 will reboot and install the new firmware;
- When the installation is complete, your device will boot in normal mode.
Anyway, if HTC has officially announced that a new official update was launched, but the notification hasn’t arrived yet, then you should open Settings, go to More, open About Device, go to Software Update and press the Check Now button to look if there is indeed a new Android OS update available for your HTC One M8 handset. ]
If you have found it, then click Download and wait for the download to complete in order to finally confirm the installation.
If you want to be sure that everything went well, go in Settings> More> About Device> Build Number – if the build number corresponds to the update, then the installation was indeed a successful one.
How to Install stock / official Android on your HTC One M8 with RUU:
This method that we have here is ideal when you have to manually flash the stock or the official Android OS:
- Download ROM Update Utility (RUU) on your computer (choose the RUU compatible with the model of your HTC One M8 device and make no mistake or you can end up bricking your device);
- Install the program on your computer;
- Carefully follow the on screen prompts;
- Run RUU and follow all the instructions;
- Your device will reboot into Android OS.
Feel free to use the comments field from below if you have any question for our team; we’d be glad to help you!