Install CM13 Custom ROM on 2014 Motorola Moto E
Have you heard that CyanogenMod developers have unleashed their Android 6.0 Marshmallow update for Moto E 2014 users via CM 13 custom ROM? Are you one of them too? Then, let the fun begin!
The CM13 ROM is based on the original AOSP Android 6.0 Marshmallow source code, which was just released by Google, but keep in mind that it is only in the alpha stage of development, so you should be prepared for some bugs that might be installed on your Motorola Moto E.
I want to be clear from the start about the fact that the Android 6.0 CM13 ROM from this guide is compatible with Moto E 2014 only, so don’t even think of trying to install it on any other Android device as it could damage or brick it.
Even more, you have to find out that you can be successful only if you have a rooted Android device and a custom recovery image like CWM or TWRP recovery already installed. To be more precise, ensuring root is necessary because you have to unlock the internal system of your smartphone and the recovery image will be used on the CM 13 flashing operation as long as the ROM is provided in form of a .zip file.
Then, you have to back up all your important Moto E data and settings to prevent any unfortunate loss of data, especially if you encounter installation errors or bootloop issues for some reason. Enable Developer Options by tapping several times on Built Number (access Menu – Settings – About phone) and next, access the Developer Options (from Menu – Settings – Developer options) and check the USB debugging field.
Verify that the correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer to enable the CM13 ROM and Gapps transfer between the PC and the 2014 Moto E smartphone and don’t forget about the original USB cord. The device must have at least 60% battery charge before trying to install this firmware if you want to be one the safe side and to prevent the unexpected device shutdown during the firmware installation.
And I want to warn you about the fact the warranty of your Moto E will get void which means that you have to be prepared for any potential technical inspection or that you have to take in consideration this guide on How to restore the Warranty on your Android device.
How to Install CM13 Custom ROM on your 2014 Moto E:
- Enter here in order to download the update file;
- Also take the latest Google Apps package from here;
- Save both files on desktop;
- Connect your smartphone and your computer with the help of the original USB cable;
- Transfer the downloaded files on your phone and when done, remove the USB connection;
- Power off your phone;
- Then, you have to reboot recovery on your Motorola Moto E handset;
- Make a factory reset by using the recovery options;
- From the main menu and hit wipe button and select Advanced Wipe;
- Then choose Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache;
- Finally, swipe the confirmation button to backup;
- Now, you have to load the CM 13 custom ROM file;
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation and be sure of the fact that the ROM will be installed;
- Repeat the procedure from above for the Google Apps package as well;
- At the end, choose “reboot system now” from the main menu of recovery.
That’s all that you had to do!