How to Use Galaxy S9 Plus Intelligent Scan
Do you also own a Galaxy S9 Plus smartphone? Then, you know that instead of building its own version of Apple’s Face ID using various sensors to create an accurate map of your face, the Korean company that designed the beauty from your pocket decided to use the technology that is already incorporated in other Galaxy devices. Intelligent Scan is based on two sensors, the front-facing camera and the iris scanner which is both good and bad at the same time.
Using the iris scanner, the front-facing camera, and an intuitive machine learning, Samsung can quickly authenticate your face and unlock your smartphone by just looking at it. It’s quicker than using each sensor separately, allowing for authentication speed that rivals the fingerprint scanner, yet is far from what Apple has to offer and Samsung is not able to catch up.
With Samsung’s new Intelligent Scan feature you can unlock your phone using iris and facial data. Be warned, however, that the feature has its share of hiccups. In normal conditions, Intelligent Scan uses the S9 Plus front-facing camera to create a 2D map of your face. If this map matches the one it has on file, it will unlock your device. However, if there is an error, it moves on to the iris scanner to authenticate you.
If this also fails (pretty crazy that Samsung thought that this could lead to a failure so many times), then the handset will eventually combine the two sensors to authenticate you. Does it work all the time? It is definitely a better unlock method than we’ve seen from previous Samsung flagships, yet not perfect.
How to Use Galaxy S9 Plus Intelligent Scan:
- First of all, tap Settings;
- Go to Lock screen and security > Intelligent Scan;
- Enter your password, PIN, or pattern;
- Then, you need to tap Continue;
- Select a lock screen option and then agree to the disclaimer;
- Press Continue two times;
- At this point, your phone will walk you through the process of registering your face and irises. As it says when registering your face, make sure that the phone is held 8 to 20 inches away from your face while it’s scanning;
- After that, you must also hold your S9 Plus phone 10 to 14 inches away from your face and center your eyes in the on-screen circles to let it scan your irises;
- With all these, Intelligent Scan will be automatically enabled.
Note: To get the best data, you must make sure you’re in a well-lit room without a lot of backlight. And don’t forget to remove your glasses for the iris scan or else you are wasting your time.