How to Use Google Maps Offline on your HTC 10
Step-by-step navigation, place searches, as well as other similar features require your device to be online, but Google Maps also offers you the chance to save one part of the experience for offline use on your HTC 10. It’s not the best situation ever, but it might come as the ideal compromise for those times when you really have no alternatives.
Even if saved areas are automatically cleared after 30 days on your device, I think that you’ve got plenty of time to use them. And I like the fact that the area you can download is pretty large, so be ready to sacrifice plenty of storage space for your maps. These can take up to 1.5 GB, depending on the area. After you download an area, you can simply use the Google Maps app just like you normally would.
To be more precise, you can get directions and see route, search for location and if your Internet connection is slow or missing completely, you’ll see a lightning bolt and Google Maps will use your offline areas to give you directions. Therefore, I don’t see any problem with this 30 days clearing date at all; in fact, the world changes pretty much daily and the best maps are the ones dynamic that permanently receive new updates.
It’s handy, and it’s easy to use, so waste no more time:
How to Use Google Maps Offline on your HTC 10:
- Enter into your Maps application;
- Then, move the map to the location that you want to save for offline use and touch the Search bar at the top of the app;
- Now, hold the display screen until you see a checkmark;
- Swipe the screen upwards to confirm your option;
- Now, you may view your saved searches in the information bar at the bottom, but let me remind you that these saved maps only remain stored in your device for 30 days;
- After saving maps your app won’t act any differently when in normal use with an Internet connection — the only changes come when your phone is without data and you open up the app to find your way.
Now, you will see major speed improvements if you regularly have a slow data connection in those areas because there’s less to load.