Install Android 4.4 on AT&T Galaxy S4 with VanirAOSP Firmware
Do you think that it’s time to update your AT&T Galaxy S4 to latest Android 4.4 version? Now, you have the possibility to do that with the help of VanirAOSP Firmware which is stable enough for daily use, but you must also know the risks involved in such a procedure. That’s exactly why we are here: to inform you about the key feature of this new VanirAOSP custom firmware and the preparatory steps that are required for this specific operation and also to guide you through the entire process. First of all, we want to remind you that VanirAOSP is based on latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat, coming with an entire list of tempting features such as UI mode switcher, Halo 2.0, AppBar, krait, custom CFLAGS, custom toolchains, OptiPNG, bionic, a Vanir performance on/off toggle, not to mention the incredibly improved speed.
And besides all these, don’t leave aside the general Android 4.4.2 KitKat features that you are probably already used to hear so much about, but never had an actual chance to enjoy them. We are talking about Screen Recording, Tap to Pay, cloud printing from Gallery, Google Home as the new Launcher, NFC emulation, 14% less memory usage, Core System Processes Trimmed, redesigned Quickoffice, more efficient apps, Full-screen Immersive mode and many more.
So yes, we believe that VanirAOSP could be an amazing experience for you, but you need to accept the fact that there are several risks also involved in such a procedure of flashing a ROM:
Review the risks:
- This is nothing else than a test build, so you should definitely expect some bugs in it. Although we can assure you that no issues have been reported up to now and all the bugs that could appear are expected to be immediately fixed, we cannot take that as a guarantee. Who knows what bugs would finally appear and how they could change the way that you are currently using your AT&T Galaxy S4? That’s your risk to take, not ours!;
- In other words, we won’t be considered responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. If anything bad happens, you are the only one that has to face the consequences;
- The model number of smartphone must be SGH-I337, or you risk serious damages. There’s no shame for you to look on the packaging box of your device or hit the ‘About device’ option under Settings. It’s much better that way than bricking it!;
- Finally, you should know that installing this Android 4.4 KitKat ROM on your handset will void its warranty.
- Back up all up all your important data; in case you don’t know what method to use, we come with a suggestion: the JS Backup app that can be used to back up your contacts, call history, text messages, calendars, MMS,bookmarks, system settings, dictionaries, applications, shortcuts, alarms music, playlists, videos and images;
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode by going into ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’;
- Disable any security protection form that you currently have on your PC; later you can install it back;
- Look for the original USB cable that you are going to use for connecting the computer with your your smartphone;
- Verify if you have the USB Driver of this AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 version already installed in your PC;
- You can use either the CWM or the TWRP recoveries, but don’t forget that it is recommended to have a recent version in order to be fully compatible with this VanirAOSP Firmware.
The following files are required: the GAPPS FILE (download it from here) and the ROM FILE (download it from from here). After placing them on your PC, connect the PC to your Samsung Galaxy S4 device and then move both the zip files to your phone’s root storage.
How to install Android 4.4 on AT&T Galaxy S4 with VanirAOSP Firmware (for CWM or TWRP users):
- After disconnecting the original USB cord, turn off your smartphone and boot it into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up + Home button + Power buttons and selecting the recovery option from the next screen; that’s the ideal option in case that your phone is not rooted; if not, you can simply use the QuickBoot app;
- Don’t forget about performing a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM; this operation is indeed considered as optional, but we see it as being more than necessary in case something goes wrong;
- Now, it’s time to select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and then ‘Yes’ on in order to confirm your action. In just a few minutes the data wipe will be complete;
- After the data wipe is complete, you must go back into the recovery main menu, select ‘wipe cache’ partition and after wiping process is done, select ‘Wipe Dalvik Cache’ under advance option;
- Return to the recovery menu and select the Install option. First you must choose the ROM file;
- Once the ROM installation process ends, repeat the step, but this time you must choose the Gapps file instead of ROM file;
- Now, go back to the main recovery menu and select ‘reboot system now’ to reboot your Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 and boot up into Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
What do you think? Was this tutorial a difficult one? Have you succeeded to install Android 4.4 on your handset with VanirAOSP Firmware? And if you change your mind, you can always return to previous ROM by following the steps: boot into recovery, then select backup and restore and select your previous ROM from the list.