Install CM 12 Nightly based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
The WiFi version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 can now be updated with the Nightly built of CM 12 custom ROM. Therefore, in a few words, you can now experience the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware on your own tablet, but not in form of an official Android OS, as after all you are dealing with a custom port of stock Lollipop software.
CM 12 Nightlies is therefore a stable Android 5.0.2 Lollipop based update that can now embrace your Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. The firmware runs smoothly on the Tab Pro and according to the users who have already flashed the ROM, everything is working without problems – there are now software related problems reported until now.
Actually, with CM12 installed, your Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 will run better. As you might know, CyanogenMod is great as the ROM comes with dedicated features and apps that can’t be found on the default Android platform. Thus, all these features can be used for improving the performances and the Android experience from your own Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. Of course, all you have to do now is to complete this step by step guide in order to see it all by yourself.
If you are an advanced Android user, then you know that CM 12, like any other custom ROM, is not an official Android update, but an unofficial port of stock Lollipop firmware. Thus, you are about to complete an unofficial operation that has nothing to do with Samsung or with Google. That’s why, you will lose the warranty of your Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about – stick to the guidelines from below and everything will go as planned.
The first thing to do, before installing Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM 12 Nightlies on your Tab Pro 10.1 is to root your tablet. The root access is a must, as being a custom ROM, CM12 will have to access and also modify the internal system of your device. Moreover, the update package can be installed only if a custom recovery image, like CWM or TWRP recovery, is being flashed on your tablet, so make sure to complete this operation too.
Another thing to take care of is a backup. You see, unfortunately, during the update process, a wipe / hard reset will be applied which means that without the backup, you can lose all of your personal data, info and accounts. Therefore, don’t hesitate and save everything you need. Then, since CM 12 might or might not be on your taste, I recommend you to make a Nandroid backup for saving the current ROM that powers your Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1.
Finally, just before using the steps from below, check the tutorial form here. There you will be able to read other risks that are related to the process that you are about to perform, while you will also check what other tasks you have to complete before being able to test CM 12 NIghtlies on your own Tab Pro 10.1.
Do not forget that the CM12 firmware file from below is compatible only with the WiFi model of the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. So, apply this guide only if you own the mentioned Android based tablet as else you can end up in bricking your device.
How to Install CM 12 Nightly based on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1
- You can download the CM 12 Nightlies firmware file from this page; save the update package on your computer.
- You can place the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS on your desktop, but you shouldn’t unzip it.
- Optional: get Google Apps package as the same is not included on the update file.
- Then, connect your Tab Pro 10.1 with your computer and transfer the downloaded files on your tablet, or on the SD card.
- Disconnect your devices and enter recovery mode on your Android tablet.
- From this point you have to clear cache and wipe the system of your Tab Pro; thus select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Next, from main menu of recovery you have to select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the CM12 firmware file and install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 WiFi.
- Optional: repeat the same step and flash Google Apps package.
- When done, go back to Android OS by selecting “reboot system now” from main menu of recovery.
Well done; you have successfully installed the Nightly built of CM 12 on your Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, so you can now experience Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on your own tablet.