Update Galaxy S5 with CM12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop Firmware
Android 5.1 Lollipop OS is currently available as an OTA update only for Nexus branded devices. Of course, compatible roll outs will be offered for other devices too, though you will have to be patience as the OTAs will probably be spotted only after a few months. Well, the same can be applied if we discuss about the Samsung Galaxy S5. So, if you want to get the latest Lollipop built right away and if you also want to tweak your smartphone for receiving more power and for experiencing a new and a better Android experience, I recommend you to consider the new CM12.1 firmware.
Yes, CM 12.1 is currently available for your Samsung Galaxy S5, all thanks to those of xda-developers – the CyanogenMod team hasn’t officially released the CM12.1 platform yet, so we are dealing with a ported version of the update. Therefore, the new Android 5.1 Lollipop update can be anytime flashed on your phone if you are ready to replace the stock Android OS with a custom software. In fact, CM 12.1 will be quite different from the official Android system as the ROM isn’t featuring the TouchWiz UI and other in built apps that are included by Samsung on its regular updates.
So, in a few words now you will be able to personalize, customize and optimize your Galaxy S5 while experiencing the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop OS. CM 12.1 for SGS5 represents a stable ROM that comes without bugs, lags or other issues – the users who have already installed the software declared that there aren’t any problems issued yet, so you can use CM12.1 on a daily basis.
Bottom line, the firmware, even though unofficial, is the perfect choice in term of a stable custom ROM for your Galaxy S5. However, the update process is not that intuitive, especially if you are a newbie or if you haven’t flashed a similar Android system until now. You see, an unofficial update can be installed only in certain conditions and only after properly preparing your phone. So, before heading towards the flashing process from below, read the following pre requisites list.
- Root your Samsung Galaxy S5 because CM12.1 can be installed only if the internal system of your phone is unlocked.
- Install a custom recovery image, such as CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone because the Android 5.1 update comes in form of a .zip file.
- Backup your data before doing anything else because during the installation process from below a wipe will be performed (actually you will hard reset your Galaxy S5).
- Save everything that’s important for you or else you will end up in losing your personal data, info and accounts.
- You should save the current ROM that powers your smartphone by applying a Nandroid backup – it is important to complete this process, as afterwards you can use this Nandroid backup for restoring your S5 back to stock (if the CM 12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop OS will not run as expected on your handset).
- There are also other pre requisites to consider; that’s why you should now check the risks and advantages that are related to this update operation – do note that during the same tutorial you will find how to prepare your S5 for the installation process from below and other similar things.
The CM 12.1 firmware file which is provided below is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S5. So, it is important to use this tutorial only if you own the mentioned Android device; else you will mess things up – you can even brick your phone, so be careful.
How to Update Galaxy S5 with CM12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop Firmware
- Go to this page and on your computer save the CM12.1 firmware file; don’t unzip the Android 5.1 package though.
- Connect your SGS5 with your PC and place the downloaded file on your phone.
- Then, disconnect the devices and turn off your phone as you need to reach recovery mode on your Galaxy S5.
- You now have to select (within recovery) the following options: “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go back to the main menu of recovery and then select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Just select and pick the CM 12.1 ROM and install Lollipop 5.1 on your Galaxy S5.
- When done, select “reboot system now” and enjoy your new Android system.
That’s it, you can now experience the new CyanogenMod 12.1 custom ROM on your own Samsung Galaxy S5, so enjoy.