How to Enable Hidden HSDPA and LTE bands on LG G4
If you travel a lot to other countries, then there is no mystery that the internet bands on your LG G4 might disappoint you. The device supports even less bands than other LG models and sadly, HSDPA and LTE bands are not supported in the list. Despite of the fact that they are not activated by default, it’s time to take action.
The supported bands listed by LG G4 include:
- 2G Bands GSM – 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G bands HSDPA – 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100,
- 4G bands LTE bands – 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700)
But I’ve already told you the fact that the hidden settings menu has more surprises for you. You have to dial 277634#*# in your phone app in order to get to this Settings menu; after that, tap on Field test, Modem settings, Networks mode (you must select LTE band selection for LTE bands info).
Senior XDA member ‘duraaraa’ has found a way to add additional LTE and HSDPA bands to this LG G4 phone, so we all must be thankful for that, but don’t start before understanding that the tutorial is only compatible with the International LG G4 H815 version and that it works only if you’ve rooted your device, installed the most recent TWRP recovery (with the help of this guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on LG G4 – all versions) and unlocked the bootloader (read: How to Unlock LG G4 Bootloader – General tutorial and How to Easily Unlock Bootloader on European version of LG G4).
Even more, it is recommended to make a backup of all your important data including internal storage, contacts, text messages, videos, songs and more just in case of some mishap and you must also enable USB Debugging on your device to use ADB commands while you’re connecting to a computer. Here, you have to install the appropriate drivers for this handset and also take the minimal ADB and Fastboot tool on your PC: mfastboot-v2.zip | Mirror
Make sure your LG smartphone is charged up to a 60% battery level and the warranty will be voided as this procedure is not an official one, so proceed with caution and do not make the mistake of mixing or skipping the steps or applying them on a different version or different Android phone. I am not liable for any damage that occurs to your LG G4.
How to Enable Hidden HSDPA and LTE bands on LG G4:
- Download and install the CDMA tool from here on your PC;
- Go to the folder where you’ve extracted the ADB & Fastboot files and open a command prompt;
- You have to use the USB cable in order to connect your LG G4 to the PC;
- Execute these commands to enter ADB shell and gain SuperSU permissions:
- Up next, enter this command:
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/lg_diag_cmd/diag_enable
- Unplug and re-plug the USB cable;
- Your phone will not be in diag mode;
- Open the DFS software, which you have taken from the CDMA tool website by creating an account;
- Close the account window and then the software will launch;
- In DFS, double-click on your device to select it for action;
- Click on the Band tab and choose RF BC Config at the bottom;
- After that, you must select Read;
- Make sure your bands are displayed;
- Then, choose the extra bands you want to add;
- Click Write;
- Click on the LTE tab and then click on Read once again;
- Verify the bands you want to add and then click Write;
- It’s time to select the LTE BC Config DIV LTE #6829 at the bottom and repeat the above procedure;
- Despite of the fact that you don’t change bands, you still should flash HSDPA and LTE before restarting the phone in order to avoid any error;
- Reboot your LG smartphone;
- Then, enter into the hidden menu in order to test the new bands;
- If they work, you will see a Success message when you press them in the test menu.
If you need any more help, you can use the comments area from below.