How to Root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Not too long ago, Sony has unveiled the Xperia Z1 Compact at CES in Las Vegas. As a quick refresher, we want to tell you about its 4.3in HD display, quad-core 2.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and 20.7 MP autofocus camera, so you have any plans on acquiring the device, we have even better news for you: you can already root it! There is no mystery that some Android smartphones never get a stable custom recovery and that’s all because the lack of interest from developers, but this was never Sony’s devices case. The XDA dev DoomLoRD has worked on offering us a root solution with the help of another XDA Recognized Developer Koush, CyanogenMod and Free Xperia Team and they’ve all succeeded.
Thanks to them, we finally have a reliable method to root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, but don’t take any further action before reviewing the risks and reading all the preparatory steps:
Review the risks:
- You need to unlock the bootloader of your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and it is true that the unlocking process is the same as the one for the Xperia Z1. But unlike it has previously happened to that device, unlocking the bootloader on the Z1 Compact will not break the camera this time;
- Rooting your handset will void its manufacturer’s warranty;
- Sometimes certain carrier restrictions could interfere with the rooting process; if the rooting process doesn’t work, just uninstall the stock ROM and all the current carrier restrictions will be gone too. Then, repeat all the steps;
- Remember that this tutorial is only compatible with Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, so we strongly advice you not to try it on any other device; it’s not that it won’t work, but you can even damage it. So, you have to confirm the D5503 model number by looking for it on the packaging box or in the ‘About device’ option under Settings;
- Rooting can be trickier than anticipated, so you should proceed only at your own risk and only if you’re not new into this. We want to be clear from the start that we are not responsible of any kind of damage you could end up doing while following these instructions.
- Start the preparatory steps by performing a full backup of your SMS and MMS messages, your contacts, images, videos, files, internet settings and other data that might be important for you;
- Go to ‘Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging’ in your SONY Xperia Z1 Compact and enable the USB Debugging Mode;
- You’ll need computer or a notebook in order to apply the procedure; here you must temporarily uninstall the security protection which can interfere with the rooting process;
- Do you have your smartphone running on the Jellybean 4.3 version of firmware? That’s exactly how it should be;
- Use only the original USB cable to establish the connection between the computer and your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact device;
- Your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact must be is at least 50% charged; is not as if you’d want to see it how it powers off during the procedure and start all over again or even bricking it;
- Make sure that you have the latest version of CWM or TWRP recovery installed on your handset; if so, skip this step.
Download the SUPERSU FILE on your computer and then transfer it to your handset; be sure that you remember the location of the files.
How to Root your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
- It’s time to enter the handset in the recovery mod by first switching off your Xperia Z1 Compact and then switching it back on; in the moment when you see your phone’s LED notification light turn Pink start pressing the Volume UP key repeatedly in order to make your device boot into recovery mode;
- It is optional, but we suggest to also create a Nandroid Backup from recovery;
- Flash the Zip file by choosing from the location you have previously placed it;
- Reboot from the recovery mode by selecting ‘reboot system now’;
- The rooting process will take a few minutes but after it is done, your handset will be rebooted. And if you want to be sure that everything went according to the plan, you can download the Root checker app from Google Play Store and check if your Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is indeed rooted or not.
We hope that the rooting method went successful for you and don’t hesitate to use the comment section below in case of having any other questions. Just like always, we will provide immediate assistance.